dabgood21

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I can't decide what to buy for my 40 gallon breeder. I'd like to rest it on top of my tank on a glass top instead of on legs or hanging it. Hopefully some of you can help me. I have 2 options that I'd prefer.

1. 250 watt MH & 2x96 watt PCs fixture = $250

or

2. 6x39 watt T-5 fixture = $290

The MH option has double the wattage and is cheaper. Found it on ebay and it's made in China so the quality isn't as good as a Current-USA 36" fixture.
The lack of superior quality is what bothers me.

I keep SPS, LPS, anemones, clams, etc... in my tank and want more light.
I even have a Superman frag I bought from a guy on this site and the color isn't what it should be if it is a real Super man frag. I want to bring out it's true colors.

Which fixture should I buy, or should I get something else.

Thanks a lot :)

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
Just listing the wattage of the lights doesn't help. Please either link the actual model you are deciding, or list the detailed specs at least.
People assume skimmers aren't all equal, and neither are lights.
All T5 are not equal, and neither are MH
Theres a reason why some are more expensive then others

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
and depending which current t5 set-up makes a difference,i run t5's and vho on my 50g breeder and keep 95% sps, but i have a retro kit with a icecap 660 driving the t5's a single 250w mh isnt going to give the coverage you need and if it is from china it isnt really putting out 250w, and with cheaper you get what you pay for

FREEZE

colonist
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
if you want it to sit right on top and if you like T5 you could look into the Aquactinic T5 light - it has 5 bulbs and is a very good light (individual reflectors, fan cooling bulbs). I have one on my 40 breeder. But I use the legs with it.

dabgood21

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

dabgood21

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm not using a chiller, I just keep my apartment very cold :) The T-5s seem like the best option for what I want, I just want to make sure it'll be enough light to bring out the color in my Superman frag (the purple/blue and red).

6x39 in the Nova Extreme pro enough for my 40 breeder?

BZOFIQ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
I'm not using a chiller, I just keep my apartment very cold :) The T-5s seem like the best option for what I want, I just want to make sure it'll be enough light to bring out the color in my Superman frag (the purple/blue and red).

5.85W/Gallon should be enough. More than enough if you ask me.

JLAudio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I say get the MH. I have this odyssea light and it works great. They get a bad rep from their old magnetic ballast ones, but their new electronic work fine. I perfer the shimmering that you get with the MH. However, I have seen some people have good growth with SPS corals when they overdrive the T5 ballasts, but im not exactly sure how that is dones
MH ALL THE WAY :thrash:

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
i single 250w mh is not going to give enough light for a 40g breeder, unless you stack all the corals under the light, go with the t5's take a look at ming's tank or alexpescado's or mine for that fact

newtoit

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

dude I have a 40 breeder with the nova extreme pro lights and I could not be more happy IMO I think you would be disappointed if you went with anything but them after a month or so you will want to get new bulbs as the current bulbs are junk go with the UVB bulbs of one of the other higher end bulbs

dabgood21

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
the current bulbs are junk go with the UVB bulbs of one of the other higher end bulbs

What does UVB stand for? And is there a specific brand of bulb you would recommned as replacement T-5s. I didn't realize the SlimPaq T5 HO lamps that come with it are so bad. Are they? Any opinions?

Also, does anyone think it matters if I don't have moonlights? I don't think this fixture (Nova Extreme pro) has them.

Thanks!

Last edited:

newtoit

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does UVB stand for? And is there a specific brand of bulb you would recommned as replacement T-5s. I didn't realize the SlimPaq T5 HO lamps that come with it are so bad. Are they? Any opinions?

Also, does anyone think it matters if I don't have moonlights? I don't think this fixture (Nova Extreme pro) has them.

Thanks!
UVB is the manufacturer and no I don't feel that a moon light is all that important if you want it then you will have to buy an addon

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: