NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
loking for anyone who does or has or had dripped kalkwasser, not using a reactor, if so how do you do it ? how long do you mix it before using ? and method of delivery

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Kalk should never be dosed as a complete top off. It needs to be dripped to insure it doesn't cause a swing or precipitation. It's easier to fill a bottle every few days than to just keep dumping it in. STABILITY is the goal we work towards and dumping kalk into your system of any size is enough to cause problems. Before that solution fully mixes you have a pocket of 0.000 SG water with a very high PH and probably a lower temp than your tank floating around. Do the math. I've personally seen entire tanks crash because kalk was dumped in. It's not worth it, you aren't saving any time, just drip it.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Ty Lfs, That's What I Have Been Doing, Jus Started Back A Few Day's Ago And Only Dripping A Quart A Day Into Tank And Checking To See Where Cal, Alk And Mag Are At Too See If I Need To Still Dose 2 Part Or How Much I Need To Dose, Just Trying To Cut Back On The 2 Part Because Of Amount I Have Been Dosing And Cost Of It Been Dosing 75 Ml Of Esv Daily To Keep Cal At 420 Which Is A Little Low As Is, After 3 Day's Of Dripping Kalk And Not Adding Anything Else My Cal Is At 430 So Ill Monitor It, Ty Everyone

rjs5134

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I mix for 30 seconds 4+/- gallons in a 5 gallon bucket, let settle overnight, pour off clear liquid on top another 5 gallon bucket with hole drilled in top for airline tube. I have an Aqua-Medic SP-3000 dosing pump on a digital timer for 8 minutes every hour after lights out to administer. Actually minimizes ph fluctuation at night. This amount nearly compensates exactly for evaporation each day. Pump and buckets are in the basement, tank is on first floor with a very small hole drilled for airline to pass through.

noodleman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Ty Lfs, That's What I Have Been Doing, Jus Started Back A Few Day's Ago And Only Dripping A Quart A Day Into Tank And Checking To See Where Cal, Alk And Mag Are At Too See If I Need To Still Dose 2 Part Or How Much I Need To Dose, Just Trying To Cut Back On The 2 Part Because Of Amount I Have Been Dosing And Cost Of It Been Dosing 75 Ml Of Esv Daily To Keep Cal At 420 Which Is A Little Low As Is, After 3 Day's Of Dripping Kalk And Not Adding Anything Else My Cal Is At 430 So Ill Monitor It, Ty Everyone

you can just use the reef calculator to figure out how much kalk you need to dose to meet your needs also ;)

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I've dripped kalk and used 2 part and both gave me great results when done properly. As far as ease of use, I would have to say Kalk is the way to go. If you can figure out the right amount you can cut down on your top off and you don't have to worry about measuring doses of 2 part. I was dripping 24 hrs in my 50 breeder when I had it and it was 95% SPS, kept up with the demand very well and, as said before, it helped to mitigate the PH swing at night.

feerjoe

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ifs is right, in the late 80's i got my mom, who is a nurse to bring me home a IV drip bag and i mixed the kalk when i got home frome work poured it into the IV bag and dripped it over night into the sump. so if you know someone that works in a hospital, its all you need. now i'm a little older, and have a little more money, so don't need the IV bag no more lol, but it works on the cheap!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: