Chris5

Im BaAaAcK
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Cue the 80s music ... The heat is onnnn...

Ook so today is hovering around 84-87 degrees and my tank is already at 80 with only the actinic's on.... just broke out the vornado fan, hopefully that helps ... anyone having issue's yet?

Last edited by a moderator:

Chapz

Chap Attack Begin!!!!!
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I purchased a small portable fan for days like today. I should have turned it on before I went to work because its humid. That means the tank is probably at 84 when i get home.

Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
usually tank stays at around 80 but since I haven't been turning on the central air the tanks hit 83.
Turned on the air last night.

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Afraid to look at my temp, right now I don't even have a fan to help cool things down.

Chiller (1/2 hp Tradwind) should arrive on Thursday. If only I can find some time this weekend to set it up.

Treef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Tanks temperature is 78 right now, which is surprising because I was afraid that after adding metal halides it would get too hot, its actually a little lower then when I had my power compacts. My tanks in the basement though and its pretty cool down there, but I guess its still early. Although I still have to keep my heater on because at night it drops pretty low, had it turned off a few days ago and when I woke up the tank was around 68.

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
im at 80 not too happy:anger2:

80 is nothing to be concerned about, assuming you keep your tank at 78.

I came across some information on average tropical reef temps when I was researching Chillers. If I remember correctly..... Worldwide average temp for tropical reefs was 82 degrees, with average high temps reaching 88 and average low temps hovering around 76. Red Sea reefs had average temps of 84 degrees with high temps reaching close to 90 degrees in some areas.

The article I was reading recommended keeping your tank at 82 degrees, as being closer to natural averages. .

IME, I used to let my 65 gallon rise to about 83 degrees during the summer. I had a target temp of 80 during the summer. I didn't choose this temp, it is just kind of where my "cooling power" maxed out. I had no problems, and was keeping SPS.

Many people slowly raise their target temp from 78 in the winter to 82 during the summer. This is based off the theory that what is more important than your high temp, is the overall swing in temp. If you keep your tank temp at 78 and it jumps to 84, that is a lot worse than if your tank jumped from 82 to 84. In the first instance you will probably have problems, where in the second scenario you might never notice the temp increase.

Last edited:

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
My tank stays @ 80 my 1/4 hp chiller runs 18 hours a day. The tank cost me $200 a month in electric.

From all the research I have done, that seems like a lot for your chiller to be running. I may be wrong, but it seems that you may have a problem with your chiller, undersized or malfunctioning.

As I indicated above, If I was you (besides having my chiller looked at) I would slowly raise your target temp to 82. Your chiller wont have to work as hard, and there is nothing to indicate it will negatively affect your tank.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: