johnmaloney

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I am with you Paul. I only use natural seawater in my hobby tanks, (I am into nanos, lugging 80 gallons of sea water is another thing though, get me some salt!), and it works great.

I have been doing a similar method as yours to catch copepods and amphipods down here too, (I am in Florida), great way to mature a tank! Easy too.

BZOFIQ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
I recommend Plum Beach for people living in Brooklyn. Tons of stuff to find there. Go during low tide and just lift anything that lays flat on the bottom.

For fishing with seine, go under the bridge to Far rockway. Plenty of stuff there. Silversides of course will fill 95% of the net but you get, puffers, pipefish, star grazers, file fish, and other weirdest looking stuff on earth.

kool-cat

Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Those local black nassarius snails don't last long in temps of 80F. I've only been able to keep them up to like 3 months in my reef tank. I put those ghost shrimp/grass shrimp in my reef tank before and had them in there for like 6 months. They got hungry and killed my crocea clam. The baby grass shrimp that I use to harvest right around this time is good for feeding fish. My clown fish liked eating the baby shrimp. I have one of those fine drop umbrella nets, which i drop from the marina.

boozeman

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
When I was a kid I used to go dipnetting at the foot of the crossbay bridge. I would always catch lots of copepods, amphipods, grass shrimp ect. and study them in a large jar...back then I didn't have a tank. Although I live just a few blocks away, I havn't been there in many years, but I'm sure it is still a great collecting spot.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Too Many amphipods

I collected way too many amphipods today. In all of my 50+ years of collecting I have never seen so many amphipods.
I collect in a tide pool that is a few acres across and a few inches deep. There are usually thousands or maybe millions of tiny fish that I ignore because they only last a few minutes in a bucket but they were not fish but amphipods. I have never seen them free swimming like this. I usually collect under rocks but with a few scoops of a net I collected about a pint of them. Thats a pint of amphipods without the water, just solid amphipods.
I released a few hundred into my tank and am keeping the rest as there are just too many.
I also took snails, shrimp and crabs.
I will go out again collecting next week and I can bring 6 people if anyone is interested.
Of course if you live in Mississippi or Idaho it would be a long trip. I am in New York and my Boat is in the Long Island Sound.
Have a great day.
Paul
By the way that trip would have to be during the week. My weekends are booked for the entire summer

Attachments

• amphipods 003.JPG
    amphipods 003.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 330
Last edited:

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Now I have 4 people. I just came back from collecting again and the swarms of amphipods are still there. I think we will go this wednesday, I will find out about the tide. You will need shoes that you could walk in the water in because it is too rocky to go barefeet. PM me with your phone numbers if you diden't already.
I am having a slight boat engine problem but I hope to fix it tomorrow, Even If I don't, the collection place is only a short sail at 5 mph

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: