Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
I had a hermit in my sump for a year now.. Never really paid attention to wether he was still alive or not... But then again I had 2 groupers that ate well down there also... He recently moved up to the main display where he is doing well for the past 2 months... If you put them into a warm(82) tank the will die almost instantly... My mystery, and Laboutti wrasse ate a lot of them as they were dumped into the tank though... Nice live food source for them.. And they are only about 3in a piece... They ripped them right out of the shell upon touching the bottom..

Zuska

Cherry Collector
Rating - 99.5%
430   2   0
ok i will but the water is freezing lol we didnt even start water drills yet... but when the water gets nice i will take some pics:)

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Reefs4Life that picture of those anemones are very common right where you live. At Huckelberry Island just off the Glen Island Cassino are loaded with them but they are pure white and probably not photosynthic because the visability is about a foot and it is not very light at the depth they live. I have tried to keep them numerous times to no avail and I am sure you would need a very dirty chilled tank.
We have soft corals too especially in Cold Springs Harbor but they too will die in hours in a heated tank. They look like roundish pieces of styrofoam with tiny holes in them.

Thanks for your reply PaulB, saved me a bunch of time in trying it myself. I can't seem to find any shrimp around here yet, I really want to get a whole bunch of them in my tank :(

Also...the starfish and the spider crab I took back from the place I work at are still alive. The starfish is in my overflow and it's ok there and the crab is in my sump and I gave him a piece of shrimp and he seems to be enjoying it. I wonder if he can go in my display

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I had one of those crabs for a couple of years. It grew very large and I returned it to the place I collected it. I doubt they are reef safe as they will eat anything

I collected these amphipods today in the Sound and will go out for shrimp tonight
amphipods003.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: