So I work as a lifeguard at this local beach here in New Rochelle and there are starfish, hermit crabs, and whole bunch of other crabs. It's LI Sound water so I was wondering if it would be bad to put any of those little animals in my fish tank, I wouldn't put them in my display except maybe the hermint crabs if I could find out if they were reef safe some how lol. Well give me some feedback on this! lol. Thanks everyone!

Cool...now I have an endless supply of hermits lol, their shell is usually covered in a lot of crap so would it be safe to use a toothbrush to clean them off and to do it in freshwater for a couple of seconds just to make sure there's nothing malicious in them/on them. And what about snails from the same place? Are those safe too? And can I use the same cleaning procedure on them? I ask too many questions LOL. Thanks for all the feedback so far

daisy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I like the concept that if you find it on a reef that is like the reef you're making at home, then chances are greater at least that it might survive in your tank - whether or not it would eat or otherwise destroy what's in your tank (and what you actually paid for) is another question entirely!

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I have kept a tank of local animals since the sixtees and I still have it. I have found that the hermits do not do well for long, the snails I have still living after three years, that spider crab you found is probably a rock crab and will live for years, I doubt they are reef safe though. Just about all of the crabs you find under rocks now in the Sound are Japanese Shore crabs which escaped here about 20 years ago and took over the habitat of the green crabs. The abundant fiddler crabs will not live long at all unless you put them in a tank which is half sand which is above the water. Even then they prey on each other but they can be kept. Right off New Rochelle if you dive at night you can collect large mantis shrimp about 7" long that will live a long time in a tank by themself. Horseshoe crabs will not live and starfish are fine if you feed them live clams. There are a load of white anemones and soft corals that will die very soon. The grass shrimp will live a long time as will sand worms. Don't collect sea squirts, they will die as will the sponges and jellyfish. Small searobins are good but baby eels don't do so well.
Have fun.
Paul

Wow thanks for all the info Paul...are there really anemones and soft corals in the Sound? I think I've seen anemones, really small ones, but idk about soft corals, what types? And why do you think they don't last long in a fish tank?

I've also done some research on the crab I found and it is a spider crab (Libinia emarginata) and the starfish is a common sea star (Asterias forbesi). I found out the star is def not reef safe but I'm not sure about the spider crab

Last edited:
From my research this seems to be the hermits I've found Flat-clawed Hermit Crab (Pagurus pollicaris). And yeah there's definately no blue legs around here. Check this site out for things in Long Island: http://www.lisrc.uconn.edu/lis_uwtour/diversity.asp

What kind of surprised from that list are the anemones that are supposedly around here, that red sponge, and most of all the nudibranch!

Like look at this anemone and nudibranch that's supposedly in LI Sound

get_image

biodiv_07.jpg

I think that looks pretty nice for something in that water

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: