Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2008, 11:30 AM

Reefer Ratings: (53 (98%)
Friends: (3)
Send a Private Message
EDIT

Ok, I just read that the wire is 10ft long and the air line is 7 ft long so it would work. It might just be worth it because if it is large enough to oxygenate a pond then it should be enough.

Last edited by mray; 06-26-2008 at 11:32 AM..
Old 06-30-2008, 03:05 PM
Reefer Ratings: (0 (0%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
There are alot of places to get power from when there is no power. Ultimately a generator is the way to go. But if you don't have 300 bucks to pick one up. (before hand) the pouring water method isn't bad. If nothing else, pull the battery out of your car. Run your stuff, let it run down, then drive around a bit to recharge your battery. (if you have a boat battery even better, the deep cycle batteries are designed to be charged up run down then charged back up)
I lost power for 2 day in houston for some big spring thunder storm. Depending on your tank size, the ice stuff might work, for me it didn't 2 -2 liter bottles of water lasted an hour and didn't lower the temp in my tank. (think about how much ice you put in your soft drink...) That (especially in a heat wave can kill your tank faster than keeping it oxygenated.) If you can wrap a blanket around your tank. And run some fans to get the evap up and lower your water temp.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:53 AM
Reefer Ratings: (13 (100%)
Friends: (20)
Send a Private Message
My 3 SCUBA tanks could provide airation for my reef for a few days.
I have used them many times before I had a generator.
You could get a used SCUBA tank fairly cheap and it's about $15.00 to fill it.
Or you could borrow one from a diver. You do need a preasure regulator though which I made from an old SCUBA regulator.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:55 PM
Reefer Ratings: (44 (100%)
Friends: (7)
Send a Private Message
An extra chiller would have only saved my latest reef related problem, .

Every summer I take a step backwards, my beautiful tank took an unfortunate hit when my chiller died and it took 2 months to fix.

"I sincerely believe.....that banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies, and that the principle of spending money to be paid by posterity under the name of funding is but swindling futurity on a large scale."
-Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-16-2008, 12:59 PM
Reefer Ratings: (31 (100%)
Friends: (10)
Send a Private Message
You can also take a booster pack for your car battery and attach a power inverter to the booster pack, the kind you plug into the cig lighter on the vehicle and that should give you some power until something with a little more juice is available. But it should at least run an air pump and a powerhead to get that oxygen to those corals. Some of these packs have 600 amps of jumper so they should buy some time if your in a pinch. Its also useful for the car when your stranded and a power inverter is useful if you need to charge a cell phone a lot while in your car.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:50 PM
www.saltwatercritters.com
Reefer Ratings: (211 (100%)
Friends: (80)
Send a Private Message
You can get the power inverters for $35-$$$$ depending on the amount of wattage (not amps) and how 'clean' the electricity is. I've got this setup and its proven invaluable in a pinch. I highly recommend a deep cycle marine battery. It'll hold the charge a lot longer than a standard car battery.

swimmer
Old 07-16-2008, 04:54 PM

Reefer Ratings: (53 (98%)
Friends: (3)
Send a Private Message
Gas generators are about $200. I think it's worth if especially if people are willing to pay $300+ for chillers.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:02 PM
www.saltwatercritters.com
Reefer Ratings: (211 (100%)
Friends: (80)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by mray View Post
Gas generators are about $200. I think it's worth if especially if people are willing to pay $300+ for chillers.

Totally agree....however, lots of MR members live in apartments in and around NYC that don't permit gas engines even on terraces.

swimmer
Old 07-17-2008, 10:06 AM
Reefer Ratings: (31 (100%)
Friends: (10)
Send a Private Message
Just a thought, my setup is really meant for quick fix not for a long term blackout solution.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:54 AM
Moderator: This member is a Moderator. - Issue reason:  
Reefer Ratings: (110 (100%)
Friends: (136)
Send a Private Message
With the expected storm coming up the East Coast on Saturday, it's a good idea to re-read some of the suggestions in this thread.

While it was originally started as a thread for heatwave emergencies, power interruptions from high winds will also leave us with the same challenges.

Today would be a good time to fill up a few empty soda bottles (with water of course..) and get them into your freezer (Sunday is supposed to be warm again!).
Check the batteries that you purchased earlier this summer for your battery driven air pumps, and pick up an extra set.
Make sure your UPS is fully charged, if you have one.
Squeeze in a quick water change today so that your parameteres are in order and your oxygen levels are at their best.

Remember, if you only have a limited amount of power available to you, the MOST important thing to concentrate on is getting oxygen into your DT and creating gas exchange at the surface of the water. Even if it means isolating your DT from your sump.

If you have a canister filter on your system and you lose power, you MUST empty the contents completely before you restart your system or the dead bacteria in that canister can easily wipe out your tank.

Last edited by KathyC; 09-05-2008 at 01:10 AM.. Reason: spelling