ari5736

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Does anyone have experience with sunlight hitting their tank for only a portion of the year, and how do you handle it. In the fall I receive direct sunlight for a few months. I understand I would want to shade the windows to prevent coral bleaching, but is there a technique to gradually allow sunlight exposure. The window is a visible office window, so I don't want to make any shade (filters, etc.) to conspicuous.
Appreciate the help.

ari5736

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Understood that sunlight all seasons of the year is great for corals, but I would think the sudden introduction of sunlight to a spot that would otherwise not receive the light during the rest of the year could bleach the coral.

jayuws

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I'm thinking about putting in a skylight

I have 2 skylights above my tank and it's doing great. They get a ton of sun for half the day, apart from a little bit of algae on the sand my corals love it.

I'm on a top floor and I would love to add a skylight over my tank. Are you able to get most of your lighting that way and suppliment during the winter? It seems that installing a skylight would actually be cheaper and more energy conscious than mh or even t5's.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: