samksy

FISHING, I'M IN!!!!
Rating - 100%
346   0   0
Anyone have any experience with a copperband butterfly fish? I have a 90 gallon reef, with mostly soft corls and lps and lots of invertibrate.

What's the chances i can get it to eat and coexist with my cleaner shrimp? It can definetly have some snails for dinner, but just not not my shrimps. Anyone? thanks

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Samsky,

I have one in my SPS tank down stairs, I think you might have seen it the last time you were here. Mine att all my small duster warms first, then onto the aptasia. Now it has learned to eat prepared frozen food, mysis, and Cyclopeezs. I never seen it bother my clean shrimp or the one pepermint I have.

This was the third one I bought in NY, the first two never ate any prepared food in my tank, died after few weeks.

Fishtown have them pretty often...

Last edited:

stingnyc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
pierce,

where did you buy yours from? the 1 i had only ate feather dusters.... never touched aptasia or prepared food :(.

steve

Sean

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
hey samsky
no problem keeping them alive as long as you have lots of things for him to pick on. I have three in three separate tanks all are reef tank and are at least 150 gallons. no duster worms they love to eat them, shrimp are fine.

If your interested I have two coming in tomorrow.

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
samksy said:
Anyone have any experience with a copperband butterfly fish? I have a 90 gallon reef, with mostly soft corls and lps and lots of invertibrate.

What's the chances i can get it to eat and coexist with my cleaner shrimp? It can definetly have some snails for dinner, but just not not my shrimps. Anyone? thanks
best thing i could tell you ,,if you are not 100% sure ,dont get it
your are better not having a fish you will loss sleep thinking about ,is it eating my duster ,shrimp,,,,

samksy

FISHING, I'M IN!!!!
Rating - 100%
346   0   0
DEEPWATER said:
best thing i could tell you ,,if you are not 100% sure ,dont get it
your are better not having a fish you will loss sleep thinking about ,is it eating my duster ,shrimp,,,,
It's very true of what you said, but Pierce and House said, they are safe to to shrimp, i think i'm worry free. I shall be heading for FishTown this weekend to check out what they have......lolz.

cali_reef said:
Samsky,

I have one in my SPS tank down stairs, I think you might have seen it the last time you were here. Mine att all my small duster warms first, then onto the aptasia. Now it has learned to eat prepared frozen food, mysis, and Cyclopeezs. I never seen it bother my clean shrimp or the one pepermint I have.

This was the third one I bought in NY, the first two never ate any prepared food in my tank, died after few weeks.

Fishtown have them pretty often...

I certainly do remember your georgious setup, but i don't remember seeing the copperband though, I remember you have tons of cool looking fishes and corals that i could only dream of having in my tank. :)

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
346   0   0
cool as long as you dont have duster ,,,
i have only 13 shrimp in my tank ,4 blood,4 cleaners,5 peppermint.(3 in tank 2 in refuge ) so im scared to put a fish im not sure about ,1ce a LFT sold me a invert (thats when i knew nothing)this dam thing ate 5 on my large shrimp,i took my rocks out got this sucker and returned to the LFS and got all my shrimp back ,tell me how it gos ,,

samksy

FISHING, I'M IN!!!!
Rating - 100%
346   0   0
DEEPWATER said:
cool as long as you dont have duster ,,,
i have only 13 shrimp in my tank ,4 blood,4 cleaners,5 peppermint.(3 in tank 2 in refuge ) so im scared to put a fish im not sure about ,1ce a LFT sold me a invert (thats when i knew nothing)this dam thing ate 5 on my large shrimp,i took my rocks out got this sucker and returned to the LFS and got all my shrimp back ,tell me how it gos ,,

Ronen, you are a shrimp lover......that really suck, i would be so piss and sad if that ever happen, but always monitor your tank closely if you put anything new in the tank, especially something you don't know much about.

How do you get all the shrimp back, and what invert ate the shrimp? It would be a good precaution for everyone.

Sean said:
hey samsky
no problem keeping them alive as long as you have lots of things for him to pick on. I have three in three separate tanks all are reef tank and are at least 150 gallons. no duster worms they love to eat them, shrimp are fine.

If your interested I have two coming in tomorrow.

Sean, thanks but i'll shop around first.

jawwad2004

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I used to have a copperband (which I bought from fishtown) and he was eating just fine. Only problem was that my Yellow tang would pick on it like crazy, and eventually he died, so I woudl be careful if you're going to put them in with a yellow tang.

samksy

FISHING, I'M IN!!!!
Rating - 100%
346   0   0
jawwad2004 said:
I used to have a copperband (which I bought from fishtown) and he was eating just fine. Only problem was that my Yellow tang would pick on it like crazy, and eventually he died, so I woudl be careful if you're going to put them in with a yellow tang.

I have a yellow tang, blue hippo, one seabea clown, two damsel. But my yellow tang is very peaceful. It doesn't bother any fish at all.

Is your yellow tang peaceful, or it's just aggressive toward the copperband? Thanks

jawwad2004

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
See, what happened with my yellow tang, was that I added him as one of the first fish in my tank. He became extremely terrortorial, quickly, and used to attack everything (except the eel and lionfish). So after I made the transition from FOWLR to reef, I put him in a QT (he had ick, didnt know about QT's after a lot of reseach, so I put him through hyposalinity) and he became extremely docile. I added him in simultaneously when I got my blue hippo, and he's been extremely cool, even with new additions. But from what I've read, yellow tangs become extremely aggresive even towards animals that have the same shape as them. That's my experience with the copperband, but I am definitley looking into getting one once I get my new tank, one of the most beautiful fish I've seen.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: