JLAudio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Thanks Russ. The current outlet (is this the same as "circuit"?) I am using is exclusively for chiller. Unfourtantly I cant get any shorter, due to locations of available outlets. I will get the new cord tommorow, and according to house a 1/4hp should be around 6amps at start up, I will need a 18 gauge at 50 feet.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Thanks Russ. The current outlet (is this the same as "circuit"?) I am using is exclusively for chiller.

No this isn't the same. You can have a half dozen outlets on the same circuit. A circuit is basically defined by the outlets, fixtures, switches, appliances all connected to the SAME circuit breaker (or fuse). So just because your chiller is the only thing plugged into the outlet, it doesn't mean that it is the only thing on that circuit. In only a very few instances will you find that a circuit is comprised of only one outlet.

Unfourtantly I cant get any shorter, due to locations of available outlets. I will get the new cord tommorow, and according to house a 1/4hp should be around 6amps at start up, I will need a 18 gauge at 50 feet.
No need to get shorter. I just didn't want you to go and buy a 100' extension cord to run the line only 25'. The extra 75' of cord would cause an unnecessary drop in voltage.

I hope you took note of the following quote from the link I sent you to:

It is also recommended to go one size larger to account for start up load which is greater then running load.
Taking this into account, you should get a MINIMUM of a 16 gauge cord.

Better safe than sorry. FYI, if it were in MY house, I'd be using nothing smaller than a 14 gauge wire. But I tend to overdo these things.

R

JLAudio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Russ thanks for the Electricity lesson, im trying to take it all in. But will follow closely and get the 14 gauge to be safe.

JLAudio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Even with my chiller on a different outlet, my stupid Koralia powerheads rattle as soon as it comes on, I basically had to unplud the #4 because it was driving me crazy, why doesnt this effect other pumps/lighting/etc if its from energy consumption?

JLAudio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Are both outlets on the same circuit?

Good Question, Russ was asking about this, but im not sure how to tell. I assume your referring to the same switch in the circuit breaker, but my whole room is on the same circuit breaker, so I would have to run line into hallway.

If its too much power for the circuit, why are only the koralias effected? (lights dont flicker in and out, skimmer doesnt, return etc.)

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Yes, the same circuit breaker would be the same circuit. Go to the Circuit Breaker box and turn off the one that controls your tank. If the chiller also goes off then there is too much draw on that one circuit and that is why your powerheads are making that noise. Why are your powerheads the only things affected? They aren't they are just the only things that are showing that they are affected by making that rattling noise.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: