Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one for about a year and a half. tore it down for the 26 and once I move into my new office I'm setting it back up.

I originally ran it with a aquaclear mini and I ditched the lights and put in a 36 watt powercompact.

about 6 months in I added a hob fuge and threw a 70 watt HQI/32 watt powercompact light over it.

then I had to add a microchiller.

When I restart the tank I will probably go with a 36 watt light again and maybe a hob fuge. Might be forced to go with another chiller as the office will got hot as balls over the weekends in the summer.

Neo_TA

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all,

heuerfan, Very very nice. What are your equipment specs.

Crakeur, I was also thinking about going with 36W PC. Only looking to do soft corals anyway. My office stays cool over the weekend, so I shouldn't have to worry about a chiller. I'd rather just cut back on the photo period a little on the weekends. It does get cloudy in nature.

Most importantly do you think both a skimmer and a fuge are needed. I'm a big fan of refugiums so if in your opinionboth aren't needed, thats what I'll go with.

Thanks
again.

heuerfan

Rating - 100%
172   0   0
I was lucky enough to find someone selling their custom hood. The picture of my 7 during its hayday back in November there were two fish, maroon clown, and neon goby. Also lots of hermits and snails! Water change 10% biweekly! Thats all:) Honestly, the 7 was very simple, my 72 is a pain in the butt! LOL

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I had one set up as a mantis tank, and changed it out to a 10 when the mantis died. I wanted more space, and a couple of clowns.

Now the tank is sitting empty. I might sell it, or just set it up as a fuge for my new tank.

IF you want a ghetto canopy for it, I'll give it to you. IT's about 6"tall painted with black & white speckle paint. There's also a 3" computer fan on the right side. The plastic base that comes with it was painted to match too. If you want the fan/transformer, I'll trade it for a softie frag or a small LPS. (if you don't want it I can use it on my new 20 setup.)

Offer me a good price on the tank and you can have it too. I'm moving in a month and selling it is easier than storing it.

B

Neo_TA

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks coffee, is it the 7 gal your looking to sell? If it is let me know.

I have a ton of montipora digitata various colors I'd be willing to trade if not I can amke an offer.

Any pictures of it?

Neo_TA

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just realized that you said softies. I don't have much in the way of soft corals, I have xenia, green star polyps, and alot of someting I can't exactly identify.
Again let me know.

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Yeah I'll sell the 7, make me an offer. I'll take some xenia if you want the fan for the canopy. I'm waiting before I go SPS. My new 20 is gonna have a 150DE halide in it.

I origionally had a LOA 65w over the tank, so I cut out a 1/4" plexi top for the light to sit on. I'll throw it in as well! and if I can find the origional light you can have it Too.

BC

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
cat not for sale, tank is though.
bansaicat.jpg

BC

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with regards to the skimmer/fuge question, I don't think either is really necessary, provided you keep up with the water changes.

I added the fuge because I thought it would be cool. I didn't really expect it to help keep the algae in check (it didn't - more on that coming) and I really didn't expect it to become a food factory (it did - big time).

I almost never fed the tank and the pod population was so big in the fuge that my neon dottyback learned how to swim into the outflow tube, up and over the tank and into the fuge's third chamber. At first the dotty got stuck and I'd have to get it out (swam into my hand after a couple of times). The dotty eventually learned to go back and forth.

With those small fuges, if you don't use a good macro algae, and you don't prune it continually, you end up with a garbage dump in the back. Mine became so thick with algae that I had to take every piece out and start over with a leafy, slower growing algae.

I picked up a tiny skimmer after an awful outbreak of bryopsis, thinking it might help but it didn't. I think skimming on small tanks depletes too many important elements.
That leads to dosing, which usually leads to overdosing.

Neo_TA

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Crakeur,
Thats awesome that the dottyback learned that who said fish are stupid. Thats exactly one of the reasons I love refugiums so much the one I have setup on my 90 has been able to produce enough pods for 2 Mandarins(8months) and a Pseudochromis(1.5 years).

I've been reading the nano forums and it appears most are saying the same thing about skimmers on a nano, not worth it when reg. water changes are done. Easy enough when 3 gals of water is 30% or so. How long have you had the fuge set-up? And which one did you use or is it a DIY?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the fuge set up for over a year. when the bryopsis finally beat me I took the tank down and set up a 26. I put the fuge on the 26 but I took it off and threw a scwd, closed loop system using the plumbing kit from lifegard. It took up a lot of the back and I then added a prizm pro deluxe to allow for media filtration (chemipure) and some skimming (I'm lazy as hell and rarely do water changes).

The fuge I used was the aquafuge. The only thing I've diy'ed was my old 36 watt lights. I'd rather spend the money and have someone else to blame when things go wrong.

Neo_TA

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes will definately not be any issue for me I kinda like to do wierd I know. I have so much spare plexi laying around it would be a shame to not try to make my own. Just need to get some weldon.

Bad coffee: havn't heard from you yet. Still avail?
Thanks
Don

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Yeah it's available. Someone wants it if you don't though). sorry for the delay, I've been working doubles all week. I'll be home all day before 7pm-ish monday if you want to stop by.

i'll pm you my address.

B

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: