Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Many people try to sell corals and frags at the swap. Here are some suggestions to make everything as easy as possible for you and your buyers.

--------------------------------------------------------
There will be a flat tank to float your items in during the swap. This will be labeled "For Sale". The other trays in the room will be for donation to the auction. If you want to sell you items, make sure they go in the "For Sale" bin. Any items left in this bin at the end of the event (after the end of the auction) will be considered an anonymous donation to the site.

Please bring your own towel for handling bags and corals.

Each item should be bagged with water and air/oxygen. Ziploc bags work well, tupperware is good for larger items. If you bag items, do NOT open the bags and empty them into the holding tanks. The holding tanks are for warmth and additive water only. We try to keep these tanks fairly sterile.

Each bag/container should be labeled with the coral type and your name in permanent marker. This will help buyers find the owner and make an offer. If you want to put an asking price on the item, that may help the buyers find items in their price range.

Since the corals will not be acclimated, and we will not have aquarium quality lights onsite, you should print out a color photo of each frag or the mother colony. This is particularly important for items like zoanthids (zoos) where you cannot see their coloration when the polyps are retracted during transport.

If you print out a price/photo sheet, you should also put the type of lighting you have on the sheet so that buyers can gauge the final color in their tank. It is also a good idea to decribe their prefered location in a tank for members with less coral husbandry experience.

If you plan on selling items at the swap, we would appreciate it if you donate at least one item to the auction.

The following items will be provided free for all members:
Ziploc gallon size bags
Rubber bands
Heated 1.024 saltwater
Permanent markers

Feel free to reply with any additional suggestions for other sellers.

Cousteau

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi -

I wrote this idea in the frag swap thread, but I'll post it again here:

Many of us have "pest" corals, for example yellow polyps, that are easy to grow and are great for beginners. We throw these out on a regular basis while pruning our tanks. I would suggest that people could bring some of these corals to donate to new people in the hobby. Some other examples might be small pieces of xenia. We could have one tub of free donation corals for beginners.

This is different than donating frags of corals which will be sold to fund the website - I am suggesting that newcomers to the hobby get abundant corals for FREE, so they can get started in the hobby with some easy corals. Considering that many of these corals can cost $30 or more in stores, this will give some beginners an opportunity to get started with a nice tank.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Can we just bring a stand? I wasn't really planning this yet, since we're trying to get ready for MACNA. Put us down for 3 people if we can bring the tank. How much rooom will we have to work with?

Thanks,
Joe

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
All great ideas, except when I gave people freebies (like kenya trees and xenia) I asked them to make a small donation to the site. 2-5 bucks. Like if they won an auction for $12, throw $15 to the site and call it even.

BC

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: