fernandokng

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
I stopped. I had weird bacteria growing. I may try at a later time though.

My xenia and acan seem to look a lot healthier now.

My acan was plumped up when I was dosing, but the colors were very faded. Now they don't look as plumped up, but the colors are amazing.

It's definitely not because of lack of nutrients though. I still had my nitrates at 5.

thewolfguy

shadow member
Rating - 92.3%
24   2   0
Aquaripure

I actually just set up a denitrator by aquaripure. It is the large unit and runs about $300. It is self contained and has beneficial bacteria in it and is activated by either vodka or sugar, and only needs the vodka added every few months. I will let you know how my levels drop. currently all my levels in the aquarium are perfect with the exception of the nitrates and phosphates. The phospates are high on the chart, very high. The nitrates are about 20 ppm.

dickenscd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Any other positive effects besides the water clarity?

I used to use Rowa for remove phosphate, and carbon to clear the water. After dosing vodka for 3 months, I stopped using Rowa and carbon, also took out the filter pads, excluding an unusual splits of RBTA, and occassionally some slime facteria for couple days when I overdosed, only positive effects were found.

Water clarity is as good or even better than the time I used carbon, phophate and nitrate dropped to zero,all SPS and LPS corals grow well, and protein skimmer seems working better.

Currently I am using a bottle (I believe is 1 liter) a month for 750 gallon system.

James

thewolfguy

shadow member
Rating - 92.3%
24   2   0
dosing

The main purpose for dosing is to remove nitrates from your system and keep them low. The side effect is better coloration. If you do this, you must have a good skimmer and keep in mind your oxygen levels will decrease, so you need to make sure you have proper aeration.

ClosetFishGeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
I have a liter Meter and was thinking about using this to dispense my vodka...Many articles state to spread it out during the day if you can...a liter meter can spread my dose...over a 24hr period. Any input on this approach ? Does anyone see any draw back to this ?

thewolfguy

shadow member
Rating - 92.3%
24   2   0
dosing

How large is your aquarium?
Generally you want to make sure that you dose about 15ml of vodka over a period of 5 days avergaing 3 ml per day based on an aquarium up to 125 gallons in size. If you have a larger or smaller aquarium you have to redo the calcualtions and dose accordingly. The liter meter should work o.k. if adjusted properly, just monitor the levels.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
i have been doing this for almost 3 months now, and as i have been following it on rc as well, will state this the same as i did there, please do not try this just to try it, and if you arent dosing as instructed you will have problems, it's really just gotten to be a habit of dosing it for me, dont think i really need to as i do my wc regularly, i know my tank and inhabitants when something is wrong, i currently am dosing 4 ml a day, half when i get home and half before bed, if i didnt leave early i would split it up for 1/2 in am and 1/2 in pm, i also dose amino nightly, and once a week heavy feed esv phyto, as well as i feed my fish a decent amount, my reason for dosing was i like fish and have alot of fish for my tank :shhh:

ClosetFishGeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
My total water volume is 260 gallons....I have a large sum of rock... my conservative net water amount starting point was 150 gallons.....I am using a 40% ...80 proof vodka and am up to 1.2ml a day. I started lower becouse I would rather be safe than sorry...it will take me longer to get to my maintenence dose but i am in no rush. I took starting points for nitrates, phosphates and I lowered my dkh to 8. In addition, I took my denitrater of line a week before i started so I could get a true baseline. My orp has dropped slightly from 450's to the 420's.. I have been dosing for 6 days so far and have already seen some brightening in coloration of my sps. Not as much of a change in my poccillipora's. At first I thought it was my imagination so I called a local reefer buddy over and he said they were indeed better... However, some of my polyp extension has actually retracted a little. In addition, I have more diatoms on my sandbed than normal. I have seen no shift in the tests as of yet. I am testing every other day. Anyone with similiar events ? comments ? advise ? I will keep people posted if they are interested..

Thanks

Thane

Last edited:

dickenscd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What is the side effects of over dosing?

I have two 10" large clams died suddenly, they had been in my tanks for years. I am wondering if it is related to the vodka dosing.

James

DCG1286

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
181   0   0
An explanation would be helpful :)

LoL ... well it's true ... everything will start to go ...

I started this as well ... I had been tampering with the idea for a while to reduce my Nitrates and Phosphates ... I am up to .8ml a day for my tank ... it's a bit under where it should be ... but I'd rather be safe then sorry ... I dose 0.4 in the morning and 0.4 in the evening ... I have also thought of getting an IV patch and letting it continuously drip into my system.

Many different things can happen from overdosing ... depending on your system ... older systems will experience different problems then newer ones ... having a deep sand bed can affect your dosing as well ... coral bleaching ... SPS rotting ... etc.etc. You over dose ... you can crash your system. Some people have reported dark black sludge coming from their skimmers ... some people have gotten a thick film covering their glass and rocks ... Personally I have not had any problems with it ... Everything is coloring up and growing very nicely.

-David

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
it will help in decreasing cyano, but if you got cyano id find out the cause of it, old bulbs, not enough flow, something not in check parameters. if you overdose wit hte vodka you can and will crash your whole system, you would be adding more carbon then the system can process, more then likely tank will go milky, as ive stated before i do use this method but do not recommend it to other's as one or more will tell you that i have spoken to on this subject before, guys i read and re-read on this for 6 months before i started doing it, was in contact with several members off RC that had been doing it awhile yr plus before i started it

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: