Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
read the article and I must say that it is interesting to read. at the moment I have been trying the blue coral method (pappone) and I've had some good results, more colorful corals, more polyp extension.

CyanoMagnet

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have vodka dosed, sugar dosed. Sugar is cheaper and just as effective ime. It does work but there are dangers.

Some considerations while carbon dosing are

1. oxygen depletion (you need a strong skimmer if you want to carbon dose, and run it strong),

2. a type of bacteria becoming the dominant in tank and becoming the only bacteria (dose prodibio or the like to negate).

3. actual zero nitrates and/or phosphates which are bad for your corals and you WILL see it (feed more, dose amino acids).

DrCooper

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Just an interesting FYI to fit this thread

We (veterinarians) use vodka to treat dogs that ingest Antifreeze which can kill them via renal failure.
VODKA = THE BEST hahahah
I prefer Kettle one but not sure my patients appreciate the more expensive stuff

Cooper
Please check out my page and tell me what you guys all think of my rock and parameters
Thanks

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
i did the prodibio until it ran out, going to start using it agin, skimmer was pulling out alot more, didnt have to clean glass but twice in 6 weeks either, can say noticed a huge difference in colors though, but worth it for the rest it did

fernandokng

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Regarding #2 - I don't think that's been proven... Been trying to find some reading on this, but haven't found it yet.

#3 - I don't think corals like nitrates/phosphates. They like the feeding, and the byproduct of this feeding (if the export mechanism if not in place) is what contributes to the higher level of nitrates/phosphates.

I have vodka dosed, sugar dosed. Sugar is cheaper and just as effective ime. It does work but there are dangers.

Some considerations while carbon dosing are

1. oxygen depletion (you need a strong skimmer if you want to carbon dose, and run it strong),

2. a type of bacteria becoming the dominant in tank and becoming the only bacteria (dose prodibio or the like to negate).

3. actual zero nitrates and/or phosphates which are bad for your corals and you WILL see it (feed more, dose amino acids).

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Interesting...I add vodka/gin to my fertilizer (fish emulsion) that I use on my tomatoes and peppers. It definitely increases sugar production...there was a study many years ago that showed great results for methanol...apparently ethanol is almost as, or equally, as effective. I think it accelerates sugar production, using the alcohol as a kind of shortcut. It makes sense that it could benefit the zoozanthellae....Interestingly enough, it was found that alcohol is only effective for plants grown in strong light.

wespastor

Copepod
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add sonething to the tank .... hmmmmmm.... can one measure it or trst for it?

Then One probably should not add it to one's tank.

I have read about many people being successful using this method. Just pointing out my opinion.

Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Camanuch, I've been using reef plus. I've always used it at least once a week with a max of twice a week.
after reading the article on vodka I decided that i would give it a try along with the pappone. I went out and pickup a bottle of smirnoff vodka and started the dose, however instead of the recommended dose for my tank size ,i started with half the dose. at present I'm on a daily dose of .9ml of vodka daily with the addition of pappone every wednesday evening as recommended. with this I've found that the water is much clearer. my corals seem to be looking better as well. I have a tabling acro which I got from Sanjay at the swap in spring that has started to change colors, it went from a blue to a lavender color and growth in the past week has been amazing ( tips have started getting bigger). all my parameters seem on par, I usually test weekly and every other day for phosphate. I will keep everyone posted.

Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
A few shots of coral growth

colors are a bit off

Attachments

• IMG_1305.JPG
    IMG_1305.JPG
    165.5 KB · Views: 400
  • IMG_1311.JPG
    IMG_1311.JPG
    207.8 KB · Views: 397
  • IMG_1312.JPG
    IMG_1312.JPG
    230.3 KB · Views: 397
  • IMG_1314.JPG
    IMG_1314.JPG
    190.8 KB · Views: 397
  • IMG_1316.JPG
    IMG_1316.JPG
    192.7 KB · Views: 395

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: