LiquidBlues

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i have a pair of ocellaris clowns and i've recently added a RBTA

after 4-5 days, the clowns doesn't even look remotely interested in the anemone

should i trade them in for a pair of clarkiis or i should wait for another week or two ?

Tim

Tim`s Aquatics
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I have heard from a few people that ocellaris clowns that are tank bred are not like the wild clowns that are caught. The tank bred do not have the natural instinct to go into the RBTA or any other for that matter....Good luck

LiquidBlues

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yeh my CB ocellaris are really dull when it comes to natural instinct i think...
i guess in the wild they learn to host anemones by observing or something

oh my clowns are half the size of the RBTA

aaron

Australian
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
It took my ocellaris clowns a month or more to "find" their anemone. I think you just have to be pateint and eventually they will cotton on. Its frustrating but there's no way to speed this process up.
Good luck,
Aaron

Nanodan

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well heres my two cents as I understand it.Clown fish are "programmed" to a specific type of anemone in the wild.Withthe "data" of specifics being impregnated at birth. Hence wild clowns will always host their parents choice of anenome.This is right out of a science book. Also P.B.Clowns"Maroon" naturally host bubble tiped anemones. Confusingly enough false perks have no known "natural host" and like a few people mentioned don't even show a need or want to host more often than not. Especially if captive bred ORA and so forth. I have a Female wild maroon thats about 3 yrs old now and went into my purple tipped rose bubble tip in about 10 mins, and hasnt left either.-Dan

E

erik2003

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to the Clownfish book the Ocellaris inhabbit the carpet and long tentacle anemone. The RBTA hosts the maroon (both white and gold stripe) and the Clarkii.

Therefore, either switch our the Anemone or the clowns.

The Clarkii clown may be a better choice, but the true white stripe Maroon is a fantastic feature to present in the tank.

However, all cownfish will go to am anemone for which there is a proper match. it is an evolutionary link.

Good luck.

dreko

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Don't know if this helps any..
but my true perc hosted right away to my RBTA's...
when I got another BTA it hosted to that one asap too...
apparently they are not 'compatible' but I seem to have gotten lucky??

I purchased the most aggressive clown in the tank at New World... it was tiny too about .75"

Dre

NaClH2oTANK

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO, Science books have nothing over real experience. After more than 20 years in the hobby, I can say that with some confidence.

Now, any clown MAY go into any anemone. even an atlantic in very extreme cases. I have seen it and been told about it at least twice.

They also go into coral.
I bought a flower pot coral for my TR clown to go into. It took a few weeks but it now lives in it.
A flowerpot coral. not even an anemone.
The reason I bought the coral for it is because anemones move around. coral doesnt.

SO, honesty, your clown may NEVER go in that anemone. Any new clown you buy may NEVER go in. but the operative word is "may".

You have a living entity. Your tank I mean.
Don't try too hard to manipulate it.
Give it some time.
You can always make an exchange in a month or more.

Rebels23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have a RBTA and my clown fish host in my frogspawn.

glipper69

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
well I had a pair of GS maroon clowns for about 2 years with no anenome int he tank, so they hosted with a colt coral, yes a leather, they even laid eggs in there about dozen times. Weill recently the female died so I added a RTBA that had already hosted another Female maroon after she kicked the hell out of themaile for a few days she started tolerating him, he eventually weaseled his way into the anemone. now they both host it, but they are not yet paired, she hosts on one the bottom side he hosts on the top side.

i think he is working his way in to get a little slowly but, surely.

moral of the story, I think a clown will host in just about anything.

and also the female maroons tend to be mmore aggressive, han the males, they are very territorial. whereas they male could give 2 shits. both my females always nipped at my hand when I get to close.

GL
Frank

glipper69

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
well I had a pair of GS maroon clowns for about 2 years with no anenome int he tank, so they hosted with a colt coral, yes a leather, they even laid eggs in there about dozen times. Weill recently the female died so I added a RTBA that had already hosted another Female maroon after she kicked the hell out of themaile for a few days she started tolerating him, he eventually weaseled his way into the anemone. now they both host it, but they are not yet paired, she hosts on one the bottom side he hosts on the top side.

i think he is working his way in to get a little slowly but, surely.

moral of the story, I think a clown will host in just about anything.

and also the female maroons tend to be mmore aggressive, han the males, they are very territorial. whereas they male could give 2 shits. both my females always nipped at my hand when I get to close.

GL
Frank

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: