danny

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Archmage I guess you do not need a frag of the blue tip millepora, hopefully you took some of the smaller pieces. Nice meeting you. The worst part is I made it home in time to go to south street but my daughter wasn't feeling to good so my wife cancelled. I told her she could of called me so I could have bought more corals.
I still owe her a trip to the sea port!!!!

Dan

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Archmage,

Take some pictures of your purple tip acro, I like to trade a piece with you if its the one I think it is. Where in Queens are you? I also have few diff types of macroalgae if you are still looking for them.

Danny, Who was the third person that took the frag without paying? I paid first and I think Archmage is the big guy that paid second. How is your colony doing? Make sure you get rid of any bubble algae that are on the base. You don't want this type of free algae.

Who was the last one there? what did he have left? That was a nice tank to be broken up like that.

Astoria

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Good morning

Nice meeting you guys.
(Danny, cali_reef ,alrha ,Archmage and gforce6 and Tony )

Danny, I was at Jeff's house exactly when you and Tony where crosing the street. Danny you got a nice blue tip millepora. ( how about a frag in about two months )

Cali_reef sorry about cutting in front of you at the line:)
approve.gif
. I was afraid you will get everything:) :D

Alrha, i loved that center piece but my tank is to small for that.:-( :mad:

Archmage, if you need some macro send me a PM.

gforce6, nice to see you again:)

Sad to see a nice tank go in pieces.

Well, everyone take care

Gary

danny

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
HI! Cali reefs:

I do not know the 3rd guy but that's alright. I took a small bubble algae that was near the base, but I have some in my tank now so I purchased a couple of emerald crabs I will wait & see if no progress I will try to remove what I see without breaking the bubbles.Ray sorry about not getting back to you on time but I will have a frag for you if you want one.

Dan

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
that guy had tons of bubble algae - i have never had bubble algae in my life - and i dont even run a skimmer.
i guess getting an emerald crab or two should take care of it? (my previous emeralds starved as i had no algae in my tank whatsoever).
It was not possible to remove the algae as it was all within the coral and i wouldnt want to risk breaking it.
what happens if the bubbles pop?

danny

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
HI! Albert:

If the bubble pops it will release spores & you will have much more bubble algae in the tank, but from what I have read if the bubble algae is small (beginning stages) some emerald crabs will eat them but once the bubbles are large they will not eat them.

Dan

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
If the bubbles pop your tank will look some what like green soup, dending on the size of the tank and the bubble that breaks. At that point you need to skim the top of the water with either a smaller brine shrimp net or do a water change and remove some of the "green" from your tank. If possible try and remove the bubble by hand as they do multiply very fast. What I find is that they do grow in places that are hard to get at them. I have a bunch in my tank and every so often one pops.

Archmage

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alrha,

The crabs would eat the bubbles and it would pop, but then they continue eating any bubbles that grows out from that event. I've always found emerald crabs to be an iffy subject since none of mine ever touched them.

You can try using tweezers to pop the bubbles outside of the tank to minimize spore release into the tank.

As for the frags of the blue millepora, not to belabor the issue, I thought I was the second. Hmmm...I was the asian guy. I asked first and then paid with the $20. I got back 2 5's in return. The last guy (I believe the 3rd guy or could be the fourth) in fact got two frags for free. (My wife told me that he took one frag ( which I saw) and the second frag from the tank. ( the one that was dropped in)...not very nice in my opinion since how can you forget to pay?

Cali, were you the one right before Gary? I don't have a digital camera on hand and eventually will take a pic of it, but I'm pretty sure that the purple tip is the same one you're referring to. It was the baby brother of the huge purple tip on the left. It was situated way in the back and very unobtrusive. I asked Jeff if it was the same kind, and he indicated that it was.

To all, it was nice meeting you guys.

danny

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Hi! Archmage:

I'm just happy getting the coral for my tank. The amazing aspect of the people in this hobby is everybody is always willing to give a helping hand or help with some frags for newbie's. It's a great expensive hobby. I can see people getting out of the hobby when things are not going well but Jeff's tank was awesome.

Dan

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
This is my HUGE Montipora cap that i got from jeff, and it has an acropora growing inside it).
To give you an idea of how big it is, thats a chromis swimming in front of it.
attachment.php

and here is a full shot of my tank (and me)
attachment.php

NaClH2oTANK

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got the other frag from you, and the one you left. you said to take it.
thanks Gary
its doing well so far.
thanks
i also got a nice piece of something i dont know the name of. it was in the bottom right front. it had blue and green tips.
its awesome

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Danny,

Maybe you should try to remove as many bubbles with the coral out of the tank to make sure you are not adding more spores in the tank. I have seen some nice tanks with these type of algae, they have tried everything and I not sure what really works in getting rid of them. Some people say rabbit fish also eats them. Bottom lines, I always pop them before I put the corals in the tank and make sure I rinsed the area well with tank water after I removed them. They are still a few in my tank :( .

Gary, No problem. I just didn't want you to get everything also. J/K I was getting a little frustrated since I was there before everybody and I ended up as the fourth person because Jeff didn't stick to his word. He had told me he will not let people in his house before 1 and asked me to sit in my car until then, he started letting people in 5 minuets before it is time. It all worked out anyway, I got every thing I wanted.

Archmage,
I was the person before Gary, I helped convince Dan to frag up his colony
. I saw your post on RC about the cube tank, I am interested in buying it. PM or email me back.

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Hey Pierce,
I know what you mean. Whan I emailed Jeff about the open house, I tried to convince him not to do this way and that it would be a frenzy shark attack. I didn't take half the stuff I wanted cause I felt bad with all the people behind me. That Pink Birdsnest was on my list but when Cindy said please don't take that one, I just backed off. How's it doing? Saw a little RTN on the tips, but not bad though.
I guess all in all, Jeff got to move a lot of stuff in one showing.

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
pecan2phat,

Will, it is his choice how he wants to do it. I am sure he has reasons to do it that way. I fragged as much as I can when I took my old 150 down, everyone got multiple frags for $5 - $15 each and walked away happy. All of them have pretty good size colonies after 6 months and is offering to give those frags back since I lost most of my own during the move. Selling big colonies are hard and he is very lucky many NY reefers are willing to pay over $100 for a colony. Picking around here being slim helped him a lot.

You can have a frag of the birds nest, it is big enough to frag as it is. Let me know when you want to stop by, I am off Jericho, between Mineola and Herricks. I am usually home by 6:30pm, shot me an email.

Pierce

Archmage

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Danny,

How's the blue tip doing in your tank? My little frag is doing great.
Pierce, are you still looking for Garlic Xtreme? I went to a lfs in New Hyde Park and they are selling those for about 20 bucks. I took your advice and purchased one bottle to try to see if it would help with my fish. If you are, they have one bottle left at Pets of New Hyde Park. Very close to where you live, I think.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: