D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 99.1%
112   1   0
i have a chiller ,but use 2 fans ,,,one under my canopy ,and under my stand
althou ,on days like today and yeasterday ,,that all you need ,but on the sticky humid days you need a chiller of your AC pumping

michael stern

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.1%
112   1   0
Wow,why am I running soooooo hot.

I have 3 big fans resting on top of my tank opening, blowing down on the water. I have an exhaust fan over the tank, trying to keep up with the humidity. The tank is in my air conditioned LR @ 73-74, and I struggle to keep my tank below 83.???

joe

Rating - 95.8%
23   1   0
no chiller. i got like two tiny fans built into the pc lighting but i dont think they do much. tank stays at 79-80. i rmmber to neever close my door though or else things heat up. or of the AC is on then i also never shut the door or else things will ice up. tsmall bodies of water change temp mad fast as you probley know. i was aclimating a few frags on frday and the AC was on, but door was opened and i cam back and the half gallon water container was really cold , thank god i caught it fast. somehow my 2 twenty gallons stay stable though.

later

joe

regal

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Here is work I do for my 400g+60g sump reef room divider. I installed a dual window fan above the tank blowing hot air (heat from my 3X400w MH) out. The stand has a cut out for air intake. Today with the humidity I was supprised when I got home the tank temp was 82 with no AC on. Little higher than I like but acceptable. No room for a chiller.

Attachments

• IMG_0039.JPG
    IMG_0039.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_0040.JPG
    IMG_0040.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 147
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found that one clip on fan blowing across the surface (between the tank and the lights) is sufficient to keep a 26 gallon with twin 150 watt halides and a 55 watt pc (with A/C running of course).

I have since ditched the lights with legs and now have a hanging light so no clip on fan and the water temp is fine with the a/c on most of the time 150 watt with twin 65 watt pc and some moonies.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Michael

A couple of things could be making your tank run hot, first the pumps that your using could be adding alot of heat to the your tank. Make sure that they're well ventulated also the pump/power head that you have in your tank could be adding alot of heat. you may want to see if that the case and maybe change over to something that will give off less heat. The lights that your using could also cause excess heat into the tank. What type of lights are you using and are they right on top of the tank?

michael stern

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.1%
112   1   0
AM I A TOTAL IDIOT?

I don't know what made me think of this after 1 1/2 years struggling with heat, but, am I making a mistake having the fans blowing down on the top of my tank? Am I just blowing the hot air from my lights into the tank? I've been adding more and more fans, perhaps making the problem worse and worse????????????????????????????????

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I don't think your lights give off that much heat, your not running MH's, but I always like having my fans blowing across the tank.

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
no chiller here, just fans.

FWIW, Ron Shimek's book "Marine Invertebrates" indicates that:
"Most coral reefs have temperatures that range between 78F and about 86F. The average temperature of about one thousand coral reefs spread throughout the world is about 81F. Virtually all coral reef animals will do best within this range, and I consider the temperature range of 81F to 84F as the optimal and normal temperature to maintain all reef animals."
page 15.

michael stern

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.1%
112   1   0
alrha said:
no chiller here, just fans.

FWIW, Ron Shimek's book "Marine Invertebrates" indicates that:
"Most coral reefs have temperatures that range between 78F and about 86F. The average temperature of about one thousand coral reefs spread throughout the world is about 81F. Virtually all coral reef animals will do best within this range, and I consider the temperature range of 81F to 84F as the optimal and normal temperature to maintain all reef animals."
page 15.

That makes me feel better.

michael stern

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.1%
112   1   0
marrone said:
I would think that you want the fans to blow the hot air off the of the top of the tank and not down into it. I would still look at the pumps or power heads that your using as they can put a lot of heat into the tank.

In terms of pumps, I have an iwaki 70 running my skimmer, and ampmaster 2700 for my return, and a sequence 5200 for my closed loop. I didn't think these put out much heat (I recently ditched my mag 3600 for that reason among others).

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: