KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I've been extremely busy at work lately and missed my last water change. The water had been all ready to go, about 30+ gallons stored in a Brute pail, to be used in my 120 and 33 cube. I'd guess it's been sitting there for about the past 7 or 8 days.
I have 2 Brute cans and alternate use of them due to frequently finding a brown film in them when I wash them out after using them. I have seen this 'film' brought up before here and some had ventured a guess that it's a residue from the salt mix.
I am currently doubting that ..I now think they are diatoms.

I had a bad feeling about this water and decided to run an ammonia test.
IMG_4277.jpg

It is obvious that the water had began to cycle in the Brute can after sitting there (sg 1.025, temp 78) for the past week.

That got me thinking about my 10g top off container (AGA 10g Tank), so I also ran a test on that but it came up fine. (If you do test yours, be sure to use the card or a test kit for Freshwater).

I came THIS close to wiping out 2 of my reef tanks tonight.

From now on, I will fill the pail with rodi water and only add the salt the night before I plan to do my water changes to allow the salt to fully dissolve, the water to oxygenate, and to get it up to proper temperature.

If you've ever found any sort of film in the container you mix your SW in, please run a test on it.

If you've ever felt that you tank looked worse after a water change and took a couple of days to 'bounce' back, please run a test.

Last edited:

frank arriaga

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
all I can say is wow Kathy. I also had that brown film in my brute after the water sat there for two to three days. Thanks for the infor will check from now on . wow

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
That happened to me a couple times. For me, if the water sits for anylength of time in an opaque bucket, the brown film forms. If the bucket is somewhat clear, no film, but I have not tested the water.

Solace Aquatics LLC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Best to prepare water change water the day of or the day before.

Top off water, the smaller the container, the better, then you know it is always cycling.

My top off for my entire setup is only 8 gallons, but it is fed by the RODI, so it is always getting a fresh supply of water after every top off.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I always run a pump in the water change container. It's important to keep the water moving and this keeps any film from forming.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I always run a pump in the water change container. It's important to keep the water moving and this keeps any film from forming.

I ALWAYS have a pump going in it. The circulation pump is turned on as sson as the water is deep enough to keep it moving (about 4" in the Brutes).

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Kathy that brown film happened to me in the past when I was using Instant Ocean.
I never tested the water, I wonder what was going on with the levels now.

I've not experienced any brown/white film since switching to coralife. I recently had 50 gallons sitting in the container for 3 weeks and it was as clean as the day I made it.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Wow kathy, is that only when you added salt to the water it started to cycle because some times I buff my water and i will test today to see if that comes up also. Only use freshwater test kits right .

Yes Jarrett, my regular top off water was fine (also in a food safe container, different type, not Brute) and had a zero reading. If you are testing pure FW you need to use the FW reading card that comes with the kit. (Many ammonia kits test both FW & SW)
I don't know what affect buffing the water has, but it certainly should NEVER show an ammonia reading.
You need to use the SW card to read the test on freshly made SW.

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
I've also developed the brown film using instant ocean and reef crystals. I checked all of my parameters on several occasions and found no ammonia but a low level of phosphates and nitrates in some instances. As Kathy does I always have pumps running. My brutes are in the kitchen near the window. I started covering the cans and no longer have had the problem :scratch:

Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Since I started covering my brute containers i've also haven't experienced this problem. If your scared about the water cycling I guess you could put a piece of live rock in the container with the powerhead.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I am anal about keeping them covered :( My tanks, and water are all in my basement..and so is the furnace (about 30' away in a different room) and I always worry about any sort of soot or something that might form, so nope, not due to them being stored openly.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Just to clarify - the film is on the sides of the pail, not on the surface.
(someone asked me this...) It is light brown and slimey to the touch.

...and just for the record I use Coralife Salt :)

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
Nice catch by an experienced aquarist eye, but something is out of the norm here. Freshly mixed salt water can be stored in covered containers for long periods of time without issue. Something got in the bucket that caused decay and hence a cycle. Let's also not set off Instant Ocean hysteria ( I know this isn't anyone's intent) but I strongly doubt the salt mix had anything to do with it.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Randy I was not blaming the IO for the ammonia, I agree that's the strange part.
I don't see how diatoms would cause a spike in ammonia, weird.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: