KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I try to clean these containers out between uses (will admit that every now & then I will use the same one for a couple of weeks before a scrubbing, but at a minimum they are always rinsed & wiped down).

My usual routine after using the water is to wash out the bucket, wipe it down with vinegar, rinse well, and then I put it out in the yard to air dry in the sun. When I bring it back in, I wash them out again (told you I was anal about my water) and then fill with rodi & make my SW.
I have 2 of them, one is always out in the backyard...

Nothing gets into these buckets..I even first rinse off whatever I use to take rodi water out of them...lol

..and (!!) I chane the hose connected to the pump every two months or so as I feel I can never get it clean enough.

I'd really like to see some ammonia testing results for others who keep new SW sitting around for more than a few days. :scratch:

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
If you dont dry out your container well, after using it. Mold spores will form if it does not dry fast enough. Or worse yet if you cover it without first drying it, Especially if it is stored in a basement.
I go through this all the time with my employees, that just think the board of health wants us to do it to be a PITA.
Try cleaning your pail with vinegar or bleach, and rinse it weel, dry it well, with paper towels, and then dry it every time after use with paper towels.
However there will always be some mold in r.o. lines. The world is not a sterile place....
JMO

Last edited:

Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
If you dont dry out your container well, after using it. Mold spores will form if it does not dry fast enough. Or worse yet if you cover it without first drying it, Especially if it is stored in a basement.
I go through this all the time with my employees, that just think the board of health wants us to do it to be a PITA.
Try cleaning your pail with vinegar or bleach, and rinse it weel, dry it well, with paper towels, and then dry it every time after use with paper towels.
However there will always be some mold in r.o. lines. The world is not a sterile place....
JMO

Yup had that mold thing happen to me before too.

BZOFIQ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Yeah you should never have the water standing around like that. I use TAP water which I dechlorinate (stress-coat), wait 5 minutes, dump salt and half an hour later it gets slowly pumped into the tank with 700 GPH pump. It takes about 1 1/2 hrs to pump 40 gallons of water to the tank (I change 40 gallons on 180 gallon tank) so the pump thoroughly mixes the salt in the process.

As for top-off water I ...you guessed it, also you tap water which I declorinate (5-7 gallons) and 5 minutes later I drip it into the sump over a course of about 4-6 hours.

Pinkheine

No More Room :-(
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Now let me pose this question.... for those with an auto-top off senario. There is a container in use, obviously. I am wondering if this would also pose the same problem?

We have one container that we use for both salt/water changes and top off.. I know, not the best idea but it is what we have been doing.

The lid of said container had mold on it from the air stone in the bucket .. the condensation on the lid molded. It was cleaned out obviously. I have tested my Ph of this water and salt when we do a water change, never anything else.

Before and after water changes the tank gets a parameter check so I am assuming I'd notice a change. Hmmm. Maybe it's time to check the bucket before hand.

I must say Kathy you cracked me up with the hose change thing-- I don't like giving the dogs a dish of water from the hose. Something about them(hoses) baking in the sun during the day with left over water in it just doesn't seem very thirst quenching.

BZOFIQ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
I must say Kathy you cracked me up with the hose change thing-- I don't like giving the dogs a dish of water from the hose. Something about them(hoses) baking in the sun during the day with left over water in it just doesn't seem very thirst quenching.

Most garden hoses for sale at HD have lead in them. Right there on the label it says so and it specifies it is not to be used for drinking water.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I'd really like to see some ammonia testing results for others who keep new SW sitting around for more than a few days. :scratch:

I'll let you know. I just made 50 gallons last night. I was going to use it today prior to dosing with copper. I tested the water and it was much cleaner than I thought, so I'm saving this new water in case there is a mini-cycle from the copper treatment. It might not get used for a while.

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Kathy,

I get that brown slimey film in my GREEN Brut container all the time and I use IO (like RD said, no salt hysteria needed).

I have found, that it's a precipitate of some sort - I NEVER leave my container open more then the time it takes to fill it with water from a separate RO/DI (covered) reservoir and addition of salt - I leave my salted water sometimes for 2 weeks with a pump running in it and use it to no ill effect. I shrugged the precipitate off to be some sort of alk build up on the walls of the container and cleant it once a year. Never had ill effects - been doing this for almost 1.5 yrs (never tested it for Ammonia either)

Hope you find out this mystery, but I would say it's the test kit before anything else. JMO

House

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Hey Jim, Interesting :) Can you do something,, test the water for ammonia (for the heck of it), but can you also run your hand along the slime and smell it? ..and maybe post the results of that please? :flirt:

Cathy how old is that kit that you used? Do you have any other kits to do a second test? Today 01:53 PM
Tim...not old at all, but API uses codes rather than dates, so I need to give them a yell on Monday for specifics. Considering that I got different readings when I tested different batches of water last night, I'd venture that they are fine. And yes, I already tossed the water but plan to run a test in the other Brute can over the course of the next week or 2 ..just a much smaller amount of water...

well she didn't specify length of time, so boo!:tongue1:
Killer...lol, you're funny ;) The time varies, from a day to weeks or more.

JMO

Chemchef-- good info for all to have :)
Yes, I clean them and dry them. Even after they are dry, they either go out onto the deck in the yard to dry some more, or if the weather is bad, I turn them on their side and put a fan (yes, I turn it on...lol) in front of them..and I do cover them afterwards..most of the time.

Has anyone tested their fresh SW?? :)

emmanuel

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
I use reefcrystals and also get the brown slime only if i leave the water in the bucket for more than 3 days not really sure how many days but since i noticed this was happening I mix the salt the day before the water change . For what its worth I am almost positive when I would let the water sit in the bucket for more than 3 days and it would get the brown slime my tank would also look worst after a water change I would get a brown film on the tank.

autoponicz