ClosetFishGeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
I would like to get some input on a skimmer for a 700-1000 gallon setup...this will be a multiple tank setup....My 210 is sps dominated...my 125 is mostly softies, I am seting up a 70gallon frag tank as well as 180 anemone tank. a 135 gallon sump(possibly more) and a 55 gallon fuge. In addition, I would obviously like some room to grow. I do not have space constraints and energy consumption is not a huge concern. Price point is a non-issue...although I do value my money and feel that there are some highly overpriced skimmers out there. I do not want to offend anyone out there so I will not go there....:splitspin..With that said I am currently talking to a couple of vendors...reef speciallty modded orca 250 pro, mtc hsa-3000, I-tech, and solar components. If anyone has any input on these or can give real experience feed back on any of these peices please let me know. Feel free to make a suggestion on a skimmer that you would recomend or use yourself. Another option would be to run 2 skimmers....This has also been on my mind ?? Any thoughts on this...

skatezen

If You pick it, Flick it!
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I'm running a Reeflo Orca 200 unmodded on a 220 gallon system and I love it. I have one of the first generation and while it was hard to clean, they have made great improvements with the newer models. The one thing that I would strongly recommend is to run it with a Kill-A-Watt meter attached at all time. This really helps with monitoring performance and you will see your wattage increase. Over time the venturi hole will develop hard calcium and salt deposits which causes you wattage to increase. Normally 98 watts for me, I clean it when it hits 100. This skimmer really pulls a lot of air. I'm thinking about getting the extension riser once I get my new 180 online.

Last edited:

qy7400

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
If the value is more important than the price points perhaps a Deltec AP1003 or AP1004, perhaps a Bubble King Deluxe 400; both are available with self cleaning heads.

From there I would say the Orca 250 or maybe a MRC commercial skimmer.

autoponicz