Pinkheine

No More Room :-(
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Thought that maybe it would be a good idea to gain others input and experience on specimens that shouldn't be owned in the hobby. Fish, inverts, coral etc. Those that carry a higher than normal mortality rate or just are unable to be kept with ease, or even those that you feel should be left where they belong.

I don't mean to pose this question to start any drama but just have an easy place to look and gain perspective on those with experiences reaching farther than my own. Is there any one, or few things that you feel shouldn't be kept by hobbiests? Why do you feel this way?

TIA all :)

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
I know my case might not be the average case, but I've had one since the Spring swap last year and it's still alive and well, as far as i can tell. The tanks only a 40g breeder and it seems to be getting whatever it needs. It's bigger than when i got it as well.

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Anything you can not properly house. Even if a species is easy to take care of, if you cannot provide it with a large enough aquarium, with proper tankmates, food, etc. pass it along.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
my first two, the most common seen...

Chelmon rostratus / copperband butterfly
too sensitive to collecting and importing process. does not acclimate well to captive life. for everyone that makes it there must be hundreds that die. leave it in the wild imo.

Pterosynchiropus splendidus / Madarin sp
not a hard fish to keep given the correct conditions. too many stores sell them to unsuspecting people who have no idea what care they need. this and the fact they are being over collected in many areas puts them on my do not import list.

D1J8Z

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Sand Sifting Starfish. They eat everything in your sand, die, and crash your tank.

I have had one for about 3 years used to be in my 36 clollumn for about 2 years and now in my 180 for almost a year now and no problems as of yet. Where is your evidence?
anyone else wanna share some experiences?

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
I have had one for about 3 years used to be in my 36 clollumn for about 2 years and now in my 180 for almost a year now and no problems as of yet. Where is your evidence?
anyone else wanna share some experiences?

I also disagree with this notion. I have several going on 3 or more years. Certainly, you don't want to put them in small system ( say less than 75 g.), but there is no reason they can't do well provided enough sand to sift, and I've certainly never heard of one crashing a tank if it dies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: