Marteen

Meow?
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I've heard conflicting reports about their benefits on reef tanks. FOWLR go for it, but on a reef I hear it removes too many of the beneficial organisms and bacteria that are free floating in the water column to outweigh it's benefits.

Dj Orion

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I have a UV on my 75g running and haven't had any problems, haven't had ich in years. My Mandarin is nice and plump, and my corals look healthy, so i say do it.

ClosetFishGeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
Uv's are great if run properly. Most people use them incorectly. Flow rate is critical. In addition, the water entering the unit should be as clear/clean as possible.(typically the last unit in line back to the return of your tank). Furthermore, clean your unit often and dont neglect changing the bulb.

Deep Dive Coral

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
i agree and i also read an extensive article that a uvactually wont kill any benificial bacteria. 99% of BB is not free floating. i will try and find the link to what i read. it was about a month ago b4 the holidays.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: