Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Just like the title says, I need to kill 2 fire corals that have sprung up on 2 pieces of lr. One has already killed a very pretty green sps and now it is headed for my green with purple cap.
So how do I KILL this beast? I'm thinking take the 2 pieces of lr out of the tank and take a chisel and hammer to it. Now here is my dilema; one of them got on to the plug my Tyree Neon Green Toadstool is on and it even started going up on it's stalk. It doesn't seem to like the toadstool's stalk, it stopped and has not gone anyfurther in months.
Anyway, how do I get rid of it so that it doesn't come back?

Attachments

• Fire coral, green w-purple rim cap_800x600.jpg
    Fire coral, green w-purple rim cap_800x600.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 237

Tim

Tim`s Aquatics
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Good luck. I did the chisel hammer on a clients tank,was good for a while but it came back. I guess I missed some of it. You might have to take it out and let it die off if you can......

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Thanks Tim! I'll make sure to take off more of the rock pass the darn fire coral.
The only thing I am most concerned with is the part of the fc that has grown unto the stalk of the toadstool. Any ideas?

Marteen

Meow?
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Toadstool leathers are pretty hardy you could frag off the pieces that aren't covered in fire coral and attach it somewhere else to regrow while you take care of the fire coral.

Marteen

Meow?
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Just make sure you get all of it. If it was me I'd just throw the rock out if wasn't a particularly pretty or large piece. Otherwise make sure you cut enough off to get any roots the fire corals may have made into the rocks structure.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Thank you very much Marteen.
I intend to break off the piece with the fc on it.;)

My problem is the Tyree toadstool which the dang fc got on. So I guess I'm just going to have to do some surgery.:irked:

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Here is a link on fragging toadstools if you haven't done it before. It looks pretty easy good luck man.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=154612&st=0&p=1604641&#entry1604641

Oh be sure to run carbon when you put the leather back in they can release toxins after fragging that can irritate other corals.

Thanks Marteen! Was really looking for away of getting the fire coral off of the toadstool without having to frag it. It's not all that big to beging with, but if fragging it is the only way then I guess I have no choice.:irked:

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
Toadstools are easy, as they reproduce off any part that was cut off or broke off.
I have a couple that broke the heads off and they are regrowing at the stump.
Probably would have to say it is the easiest thing to take care of.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Surgery was performed at 8:30 this morning. Tools used were 1 large cutting board, 1 large straight edge screw driver and hammer.
Rocks were carefully removed from FT and transferred to the cutting board where all of the Fire Coral was removed mostly in 1 large clump per rock.
Green polyp Tyree Toadstool was removed from plug and thin layer of fc was scraped away from stalk (minimal sliming if any).
Rocks were rinsed in freshly made rodi s/w and returned to the FT.
Toadstool has a new home within a crevice in the rock.;)
Water change and media changes to follow shortly.
Happy to report surgery was a success! Below is a pic of the fire coral remnants. Pics of the reef will be posted later today when lights come on.

Attachments

• Fire Coral remnants 001_800x600.jpg
    Fire Coral remnants 001_800x600.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 37
  • Fire Coral remnants 004_800x600.jpg
    Fire Coral remnants 004_800x600.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 37
  • Fire Coral remnants 005_800x600.jpg
    Fire Coral remnants 005_800x600.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 37

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: