Salty Dog

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90.9%
20   2   0
Ok I have been controlling my tank for the last 4 months with a reef Keeper 2. I whent on vacation a few months ago and had my wifes friend watch the tank. I came home to a tank at 62degrees and most of the coral in bad shape. I jumped into action and checked things out to find a blown fuse on my Reef Keeper. I pulled all the plugs from the controller and pluged them directly into a power source to buy me time to get some replacement fuses at Radio Shack. Well I got the fuses and was back in buisness with the controller working. I did lose a few corals but I was lucky. Ok at 9:30 I woke up today to find the Actinics didnt go on? I got up and looked at the temp on the display and it was at 72. **** here we go again. I go and check out the cause and find the Reef Keeper has blown a fuse again. Now I know some of you might be thinking Im over sressing the cotroller with Wattage but this is not the case at all. I decided to eliminate the problem entirely andremove the fuse link itself. My wife and I travel quite offten and I cant risk it anymore. I then powered the controller on a 20amp GFI plug. No more worries.

Bill

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Ok I have been controlling my tank for the last 4 months with a reef Keeper 2. I whent on vacation a few months ago and had my wifes friend watch the tank. I came home to a tank at 62degrees and most of the coral in bad shape. I jumped into action and checked things out to find a blown fuse on my Reef Keeper. I pulled all the plugs from the controller and pluged them directly into a power source to buy me time to get some replacement fuses at Radio Shack. Well I got the fuses and was back in buisness with the controller working. I did lose a few corals but I was lucky. Ok at 9:30 I woke up today to find the Actinics didnt go on? I got up and looked at the temp on the display and it was at 72. **** here we go again. I go and check out the cause and find the Reef Keeper has blown a fuse again. Now I know some of you might be thinking Im over sressing the cotroller with Wattage but this is not the case at all. I decided to eliminate the problem entirely andremove the fuse link itself. My wife and I travel quite offten and I cant risk it anymore. I then powered the controller on a 20amp GFI plug. No more worries.

Bill
How big is your system 125, 180????

Solace Aquatics LLC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I suggest a ACIII or ACIII Pro, you an check your stats via the Internet or Get warnings via SMS or Email.

I have seen may RK2s do the same exact thing, actually mine did.... and a clients of mine is having problems with the relays.

I agree be Cautious with Digital Aquatics...

Salty Dog

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90.9%
20   2   0
for the fuse : On the side of the plug port box there is a little grey plug with a slot on it, turn that and it will pop out. Be careful sometime they are tuff to turn.

To remove the fuse link" Remove all the small phillip screws along the side of the plug box and remove the back plate, the by the fuse bend the side of the metal to expoxe the enternals. You will see the fuse link with a green wire on the fuse and a soder point to connect. Remove link and soder wire directly to the soder point. Its very easy to do once you open it up.

Last edited:

charlie1225

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
for the fuse : On the side of the plug port box there is a little grey plug with a slot on it, turn that and it will pop out. Be careful sometime they are tuff to turn.

To remove the fuse link" Remove all the small phillip screws along the side of the plug box and remove the back plate, the by the fuse bend the side of the metal to expoxe the enternals. You will see the fuse link with a green wire on the fuse and a soder point to connect. Remove link and soder wire directly to the soder point. Its very easy to do once you open it up.

Just wondering, wouldn't that be a little dangerous? The manufacturer placed a fuse there for a reason right? Isn't that to avoid short circuits?

Solace Aquatics LLC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I would ONLY use Manufacturer recommended fuses, I have had a seen one practically catch on fire. Check to see if it under warranty and contact Digital Aquatics. I personally would not mess around with "possibilities." Especially when it comes to electrical equipment that can carry that much amperage.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: