dabgood21

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Please, nobody should ever use this product. It's probably the worst so-called solution to aiptasia on the market. It forced me to spend a bunch on some Berghia that I should have some time next week.

Aiptasia-X says it will kill them by basically making them explode. After my first treatment, everything looked great. Two weeks later they were back in full force. I have an explosion of tiny aiptasia everywhere I treated them. When the aiptasia "explode" they send little bits of themselves all over the tank that take root as new aiptasia.

BEWARE!!!

Hopefully in 6-8 months my tank will be free!

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I am often surprised by the multitude of aiptasia products out there. Kalkwasser is by far the best way to handle them generally and in a larger aquarium you can use a copperband butterfly or even an auriga if you can get them past the whole coral nipping. Most of these products in my experience, use kalk as their base ingredient anyway with something like lemon juice or some other agent used to tint it so it looks like they have some scientific understanding the other companies don't. Just use kalk and keep your nutrient levels low. Inspect corals or rock before you put it in your tank to make sure there are no visible anemones before hand and you should be able to keep their population in check.

The only difference between kalk and the aiptasia specific products is that you are paying for them to mix the kalk in water for you and maybe add some dye or lemon juice. You're better off getting a tub of kalk.

jhart

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
make sure your power heads are off and water is calm before using the Kalk or ap X , wait a bit why Pollinate your whole tank.. just to mention that if didnt do that, also I had used a syringe boiled some water and hit them directly with hot water, that work too, but like you said them come back, Natural perdator works the best if they eat me all up and dont drop a bit ..

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
We've had the berghia debate on here numerous times, do a search I'm sure it will turn up. The fact is that their success rate is slim and at the price and numbers you would actually need to control the population it's not worth it. A large aiptasia would require atleast 10 berghia to take it down. The fewer berghia you have the better the odds of them getting eaten by their prey instead.

Keep it simple. Why try everything else when the simple remedies work the best. it's a little more time consuming to squirt each anemone with kalk but once they are gone and your nutrients are kept in check you're good. Do it right, do it once.

These tanks are essentially a balancing act. If everything isn't kept within a window of parameters things start to gradually or quickly slide too far to bring them back in check easily. There are so many things that can go wrong in our tanks if we allow it, why not just keep it as simple as possible. I'm telling you, when you are done with the berghia you will not be happy.

aaron23

!THE ULTIMATE REEFER!
Rating - 98.3%
234   4   0
A large aiptasia would require atleast 10 berghia to take it down. The fewer berghia you have the better the odds of them getting eaten by their prey instead.

If thats the case, nuke the aiptasia first then introduce the berghia.

Let me know how the nudi's work and if and when you are done with them I wouldnt mind paying you for them when they've done their job.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Berghia are a waste of time. I will google and post it in any language you like but I have personally messed with these and I can without a shadow of a doubt tell you that they are a waste of money and time. They only eat aiptasia, you need a lot more than you would think to even make a dent since a lot will be eaten by the aiptasia, they can be sensitive, and they are expensive.

Dab, do us a favor please since you said you already ordered them, just keep a log here of your results with the berghia. Maybe we can put this to rest.

It's easy to breed them when you are keeping them in a confined tank and introducing some aiptasia on occasion, but longevity in an actual tank is marginal at best.

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
My Aiptasia-X worked for me... You have to make sure you cover the mouth (not that I am accusing you of doing anything wrong but you have cover all of it to make sure no spores escape.

We know it implodes and can possibly release spores. It says it on the box that this will happen if you don't cover it fully.

dabgood21

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'll try Aiptasia X one more time but if it doesn't work I'm going to have to buy some Berghia.

When I did use it, I turned off all my pumps and followed directions to cover the entire mouth but they still came back. I suppose I may have missed a few which made it worse so I'll try it again.

Thanks for all the info!

aaron23

!THE ULTIMATE REEFER!
Rating - 98.3%
234   4   0
i used aiptasia x and it does not work, i blast these 1/2" aiptasias and they look like their dying the next day and return smaller the next

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: