geldof

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
I have 2 MP 40's in a 75 gallon sps dominated aquarium. They are about two months old and have worked perfect so far. There are no other pumps in the tank, except for the return from the sump. Plenty of flow. The noise is audible, but gets quieter as the pump breaks in. Definitely follow the pin spacer recommendations for the quietest operation.

1UCKY

Niko's Dad
Rating - 100%
128   0   0
I currently have a MP40W Gen2 in my reef and have no complaints; I'm going to be adding a second one later this month as well. Even though they are not as quiet as you want them to be, I won't be switching to another brand of powerheads any time soon.....

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
..and I'll also join the club of Vortech admirers..have the MP40W Gen 2 in my 120 and I absolutely love it..mine is super quiet (possibly because I just about squeeged the rubber gasket onto the glass with zero air under it?), and the flow is mind-boggling.

The backflow that people are mentioning is really something as well and the surface movement aiding in gas exchange is superb.
Best of all though is all of those ugly powerheads are gone from the tank, so much more space for the fish to swim and much more visually pleasing :)

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
I have one of the first generation ones (recently upgraded) and now purchased a new mp40w as my tunze stream just died on me. having used both in my tank at the same time, i prefer the vortech as it simply looks a lot nicer in the tank. i do wish it was quieter as i try my best for my tank to be as silent as possible in my living room (sump is in basement) but it is not loud enough to really bother me. bottom line, i recommend it. ive never seen an mp20, but for your size tank i would suspect it should be enough.

Breakin Newz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
86   0   0
Im gonan have to get one....lol.. Im ordering it tomorrow!! Thanks for all the information!!

Great man, you will love it trust me.. Read the instructions carefully and you will be fine!
If you need to know something/questions feel free to PM me or whatever and I will help you, since some things are not in the manual..

geldof

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
OK, must have forgotten to "knock on wood" or something, because today for the first time ever, as irony would have it after my previous post, I had a separation in one of the MP40 Wet/Dry side assemblies! I did raise the flow rate slightly, before the two pieces split. Also, both of the pumps had significant algae growth which I cleaned immediately following the split. there was a noticeable increase in flow, following the cleaning. Hypothesis, keep the wet side assembly clear of algae and general gunk for efficiency and reliabilities sake.

Breakin Newz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
86   0   0
OK, must have forgotten to "knock on wood" or something, because today for the first time ever, as irony would have it after my previous post, I had a separation in one of the MP40 Wet/Dry side assemblies! I did raise the flow rate slightly, before the two pieces split. Also, both of the pumps had significant algae growth which I cleaned immediately following the split. there was a noticeable increase in flow, following the cleaning. Hypothesis, keep the wet side assembly clear of algae and general gunk for efficiency and reliabilities sake.

Have the spacer on the right thickness? Because I know some people THINK there tank is say 1" thick but it is really 2" thick.. <-- (just an example)... I would double check to make sure..

geldof

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
Have the spacer on the right thickness? Because I know some people THINK there tank is say 1" thick but it is really 2" thick.. <-- (just an example)... I would double check to make sure..

Good thought, but yes I double checked the thickness before installing. The glass on my 75 is 3/8" thick, which is an option on the spacer.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: