Euroreefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Im on the wall about getting a vortech. Right now I have 2 Seio 620s in my tank giving a nice flow, but there are some areas with low flow. I really want the vortech, but the price just turns me away. Are you happy with the vortech on your tank? Were you able to get rid of all the other pumps in your tank? Im looking for the goods and the bads.. tell me your story.

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
your gonna get both and there are like 5 threads about them, both arguing both sides. the pump does have its pro's and cons, but so does every other pump. For multi pump wireless sycing its amazing and the backdraft is par to none as well as a dry motor side with a small protrusion into the tank and battery backup. Cons are it beeing expensive, but the MP20 is at 200$+ so its not that extreme compared to the larger koralia's, its not adjustable for angles in the tank, and some people have been getting humming from the pumps that they can't stand. but the sound thing is BS because your drain and skimmer make 20x as much noise on normal tanks, they are just more used to it or accustomed to the more natural water bubbling sounds. =0)

Ive never had any problems with mine and got a second and wouldn't switch it for anything unless i needed a wierd angle in my tank. MP20 is perfect for almost any tank.

fernandokng

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
I heard about the Vortech failures in the forums, but I didn't think it would happen to me. But of course it did. Both of my Gen 2 failed within a month after buying it. Customer Service is great, so they fixed it right away. Still annoying that they are about $400/piece, and both broke.

The flow is perfect. Noise factor could be better (you can hear it purr at high speeds).

But I'm sure not every Powerhead is perfect, except for the maxi jet ;-).

At the end of the day, it was will be price vs value. What is more important?

ClosetFishGeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
I have 4 generation 2's....1 broke within a week and was quickly replaced(customer service is top notch). I have had them now for roughly 6 months and I like them a lot. Yes they hum a little at high speeds but the noise everyone is talking about is minimal. In your tank you dont need the mp40's go with the 20's unless you are planning on getting a larger tank in the near future. The only issue i had was one small nassarius snail getting caught when it crawled through the front opening of the pump and jammed it overnight. Thankfully all it took was a restart and was up and running the next morning with no ill effects.

nikkibabee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
I have the older one, it broke but the service was amazing, got it back to me the day after I sent it. It is noisy though...annoying! But I do love the way it looks, and since it was fixed have not had a problem...:knock on wood:

TighTT

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I love my MP20. No issues with it whatsoever. I'm not really sure what noise some on here are talking about...mine is near silent. If you do have some noise, the directions say to rotate the impeller unit until the noise stops. I did this to mine and its silent.

Breakin Newz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
86   0   0
Love mine..... Way better then any koralia's I have had..

vortech gives a undertow which a koralia could never do.. really makes a difference.... Vortech has a very nice wide angeled flow compared to the koralia's direct flow, Can't compare the 2..

qy7400

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Like mentioned there are pros and cons to everything we buy so it comes down to personal preference but my thoughts as I am using both the MP40W and Tunze 6100s…

The MP40W are expensive but have the controller built in, use less power and have battery options designed into them. They do move a good amount of water and the non directional issue is something the Tunzes give you but you can use your return pump to help with possible dead spots. Using the deco rock you are able to hide the Tunze almost completely in the tank, use of the magnets is less obtrusive outside than the Vortechs pump and wire but the Vortech does take up less space in the tank. On the noise issues; I’ve switched from a Gen-X (which sounded like a jet) to a Dart pump along with an ATI skimmer (from Beckett) and I barely hear the system run so the pump noises from the Vortech I hear vs. the Tunze, but it’s not as bad as some make it seem; the bigger issue is when the pumps do not line up then the noise is bad. The only problem I had was the V1 magnets; after they started to rust they made some odd noises. Otherwise since the V2 upgrades I’ve yet to have any problems not caused by me.

Euroreefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Damn, now im more confused than I first was. It sound like hit or miss with this product but everyone seems to like it, even if it failed due to customer service....hmmmmm...

caad3

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Love mine. I agree with noise, at higher speeds you can here it as the main unit is outside the talk. Here is my take, you really have to prioritize these when making your decision
Positives:
- coolness factor - its there
- clean an unobstustive look inside the tank
- no heat transfer
- different current settings
- customer service - was told is top notch

Negatives:
- Price - very pricey, but when you compare it to Tunze its close
- Noise - figured it would be quieter for $400 bucks
- controller is kind of cheesy, white with different color lights, also setting sleep mode and feeding mode require pushing and holding two buttons
- no angling of of unit or flow

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
I have both generation 1&2. Generation 1 was upgraded to Gen 2...
Both have had problems, and needed to be sent back to Eco-tech...HOWEVER, customer service is awesome, and they were returned fixed and very quickly(a few days).

The noise that everyone talks about is a small humming, that you can hear if you are within inches of motor, or in a dead silent room(still very minimal) and only at top speeds. Noise seems to be loudest on the blue setting(I cant think of the name, maybe wave crest), I believe this is due to the motor speeding up and slowing down so quickly(this also makes the motor side much hotter, I'd say 20 degrees hotter, maybe more)

Flow rate and different wave settings are excellent.

Outside tank Motor is both great and annoying. Much less heat transfer b/c motor is out of tank, but a small bump might dislodge the 2 pieces, causing both to fall(which is a pain in the ass, and threat to corals)

OVERALL: I love them, they look the best of any pump, and have excellent capability, and flexability. I say buy it, but you should get the smaller version of vortech, b/c you tank is on the small side(this only applies if the smaller version has the wave maker/controller).

Last edited:

Euroreefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Im gonan pass...again...I cant spend $200+ to have it fail, and then I have to throw the seios back on. The seios work perfectly so I guess i'll stick with them.

greggnyce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Dont give up so easy its tax season.lol. Do you guys think an mp40 is good for a 75 gallon? 48x18x20something are my dimensions. I have 2 6045 and 2 k4's but like the controlable option on the vortech.

Euroreefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Thanks for all the advice guys, depending on my refund, I just may get the Mp20...theres no way im gonna feel ok spending $400.00. $200 sounds a little better, and all the modes and settings have me wanting the vortech.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: