Nassarius snails
Blue leg Hermit crabs
Emerald green and Red crabs
2 Cleaner shrimps
1 Blood shrimp
1 Harliquin shrimps
Feather dusters
coco worm

So out of all of the above can you pick one that may be the culprit in the dissapearance and the death of atleast 1 of the blood shrimps?

Parameters
Salifert kits (new)
Alk 8.6 dKH
Cal 500+
Trates somewhere between 0 & 2
Salinity (refratometer) 1.024
Temp 77

Last edited:

Pedro Nuno Ferreira

Liquid Breathing
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi ;-)

From the list you presented and assuming that in fact one of the listed did it, Calloplesiops altivelis - Marine betta, is a serious suspect as they do eat shrimps. I have one that is now nearly five years old, I never saw it attacking any shrimp but I know it can do it.

Adults of this species can be housed in a species tank as small as 30 gallons, although an aquarium of 55 gallons or larger would be preferable. Calloplesiops altivelis is a good candidate for the reef aquarium. However, beware! - your comet may thin out your crustacean community. Although comets may ignore resident crustaceans, newly introduced shrimp often become the targets of a hungry comet�s hunting efforts. I have seen them eat peppermint shrimp (Lysmata wurdemanni) and cleaner shrimps (Lysmata amboinensis), and once had a large individual bite the antennae off of a banded coral shrimp (Stenopus hispidus). Because a newly released shrimp is most vulnerable to attack when it is drifting in open water, the best way to prevent it from being eaten is to transport the shrimp to the security of the reef structure with your hand or a net. Shrimps that have recently molted are also more prone to becoming comet food.
Another possibility is the yellow coris wrasse.

Cheers
Pedro Nuno ;-)

Last edited:

Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
without a doubt it was the nassarius snails while the shrimp was molting. I could put money on that since I've seen nassarius snails attack other aquarium inhabitants.
I had a nice cleaner shrimp which was attacked by a couple of the jumbo nassarius snails and eaten.

since that horrid scene (like the insect scene in king kong) I have kept my tanks nassarius free.

But if all else fails, I'll challenge nikkibabee and say, "the butler did it with the candlestick in between the antenae".

flipit13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
i am saying the yellow wrasse.... i named mine hannibal he ate 2 cleaners, 2 emeralds, and a bunch of hermits most very big toooooo....

just my opinion

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
The Betta has been in the same tank for 2 years and never before had it attacked any shrimps. But who knows maybe it decided to start eating what comes natural.

The 8 line is tiny, maybe 1/2".
The yellow coris is about 1.5".

I don't think the shrimp was molting as I just picked them up this past friday.:( Just found it in 2 pieces this afternoon out in the open.;(

Could it have become a meal simply because it is new in the tank? I did see it and the other blood shrimp hangin on top of the magnet glass cleaners.

Marteen

Meow?
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Yeah I would put my money on the betta. The shrimp was probably stressed and the betta saw and easy enough meal and gulp down the hatch. They are beautiful fish though I'd like to have one some day.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
could what you found just be the remnants of a molt? my blood shrimp molted within a day of me getting him and hid for almost 2 weeks before I saw him again. he's still shy

Definitely not a molt.;( I wish it was! I could see the body inside the larger portion of the 2 pieces laying on the sand bed.;(
Dag, now the other one is MIA along with the 2 cleaners.:irked: Fortunately, the harley is still here as well as the emerald crab.:shhh:

Attachments

• Dead Blood Shrimp_800x600.jpg
    Dead Blood Shrimp_800x600.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 32

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: