jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Anyone successfully use magnesium to kill bryopsis? I recently read something about raising Mg using Tech-M to kill it off. I was wondering if anyone here has used that product or a different method of raising magnesium - Epsom salts or Mag flakes - and done ok.

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Thanks for the offer but I dont have time to make the trip to Port Washington anytime soon. I'll see if I can get it locally otherwise I'll just order it.

mmike1992

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
i have used this method and it does work, but only with the kent mag. take your time when you raise the mag do not rush it. also watch your salinity level. also do not be suprised if your zoos lose a little color. i had never lost a coral but there def. something in the kent that is not in other mag mixes that stresses corals a little bit. good luck and go real slow
mike

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
no prob.

i expected a bryopsis problem when i acquired a ton of rock with it but it never materialized in my tank.

have you checked your phosphate levels? i have a feeling since i run a phosphate reactor, the bryopsis couldn't take off. not 100% sure though.

dan

Thanks for the offer but I dont have time to make the trip to Port Washington anytime soon. I'll see if I can get it locally otherwise I'll just order it.

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I checked my params today and the phosphates are reading 0. Its an expired kit but I changed the phosban last week so it could be a true reading.

autoponicz

powered by MR
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
i have a few patches of bryopsis too...i will be using some MG from bulkreefsupply and see if it can destroy them..

if anyone succeeded..please post your experience and methods...

Suncastle1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
FYI I used Tech M and it worked. However, I certainly dosed more than recommended and my fish and corals were not affected. The only place that it still appears is in the overflow. I don't know why but the overflow acts like an algae scrubber.

Keith P

Mr. No-Show
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Been over a week. My levels are getting up there. I don't think I see much improvement.

Once the levels are in the 1600's, do we maintain that, or let it start dropping?

rbtwo4

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I overdosed my tank to 2000 it affected nothing. I maintained it around there for a month til I saw absolutely NO bryopsis. After that I started dosing every now & then just to make sure the bryopsis doesn't return & so far so good. The way I did it was I used a drip method. I let it drip away that way I wouldn't worry abouthaving to come home & forget to put it in.

seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
Randy Holmes had responded to my query about Kent Tech M for this. Basically, as is mentioned, this brand is the one that works well. The thought is there is something specific to what is added my this manufacturer.

However, I had hoped that kent Tech M would help with my hair algae. As Randy stated, it did not. However, when I pumped up my cleaning crew (for hair algae), that did the trick.

So for your needs, Kent Tech M is thought to be good for this.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: