18oreefer

+270
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
If that was live rock, which it probably was, at $8 a lb that works out to $640,000 worth of live rock. WoW. I would like to know what they did with the "coral". If they ent it back like the rest of if its rotting somewhere. Now that would be the real sad part.

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
I am sure that was the laden weight including water and boxes etc.

Sad part is that likely most of it was dead when it got back to the PI.

In busting idiots like that, F&W doesn't realize how much damage they are doing to the reefs as well - get the corals to aquariums around the world to maintain - why send it back for guaranteed death?? sad . .

House

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
What is the truth???

That article states...
The government said the coral came from the Philippines, which bans all coral exports. Federal laws ban importation of wildlife harvested in violation of foreign laws.

I found elseware...
The United States "banned the import of coral from the Philippines, where export is legal," it continues to receive coral from Indonesia, Singapore and other places.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I am sure that was the laden weight including water and boxes etc.

Sad part is that likely most of it was dead when it got back to the PI.

In busting idiots like that, F&W doesn't realize how much damage they are doing to the reefs as well - get the corals to aquariums around the world to maintain - why send it back for guaranteed death?? sad . .

House

I almost posted the same thing as you Jim... They just follow the book without thinking what will happen to the "life" of the item... I was once told a story by a customs officer about a guy that brought some monkey back in a suitcase on a plane. They caught the guy and sent the monkey back to the government of the country that it came from. The trip took a few weeks with the red tape and all.... They never fed the poor thing and it died in transit.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
When they seize livestock they hold it themselves or send it to places that can, such as zoos or aquariums. If they didn't do that it is safe to assume the "coral" in question was not actual live coral. The coral in this article was calcium reactor media that contained remains of endangered species from what I gather. If they had actually gotten live specimens they wouldn't have let it sit there.

zenfish

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F&W dont know their ass from their elbow. I had one guy once give a store I worked in a ticket/summons for a lizard without a water bowl... a plastic lizard!!!! A coworker took the plastic lizard out of the tank and started banging it against the counter to show the guy it was a fake!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: