KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I'm running a 120 with a 33g long sump and not evaporating anywhere near that much water. At this time of year I run no fans on the tank. I have a 10g reservoir (with an ATO) and only fill it about every 5 or 6 days (and it isn't empty at that point).

Do you have MH lighting? Is that what is causing all of this heat you have?
If you had a controller hooked up you could set it to shut off your MH's when the temp gets too high, or get a couple of the Icecap variable speed fans that come on when the temps get higher.

The other place you could be causing high amounts of evaporation is due to flow through your sump. I actually have higher evaporation on my 33g tank than on my 120 as the flow in that sump is very high (due to the type of skimmer I have on it).
How fast is the water running through your sump (turnover)?? If you slow it down you might have way less evaporation :)

DrGonzo

Jack of All Trades
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Thanks Kathy. I'll try turning down the flow. I do have MH's. I picked up a controller, but haven't gotten a chance to hook it up yet.

I'm running a 120 with a 33g long sump and not evaporating anywhere near that much water. At this time of year I run no fans on the tank. I have a 10g reservoir (with an ATO) and only fill it about every 5 or 6 days (and it isn't empty at that point).

Do you have MH lighting? Is that what is causing all of this heat you have?
If you had a controller hooked up you could set it to shut off your MH's when the temp gets too high, or get a couple of the Icecap variable speed fans that come on when the temps get higher.

The other place you could be causing high amounts of evaporation is due to flow through your sump. I actually have higher evaporation on my 33g tank than on my 120 as the flow in that sump is very high (due to the type of skimmer I have on it).
How fast is the water running through your sump (turnover)?? If you slow it down you might have way less evaporation :)

bueller

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
i went from a 90 gal reef w/ sump & mh's going through about 15 to 20 gal's top off every 4 to 5 days to now i have a 75 gallon sumpless with t5's and I'm topping off about 2 to 3 gallons once a week. the new tank I have has glass covers on it and it seems to slow down the top off alot. no problems with temp yet it stays at 78.5 constant... what a pleasure

Bueller

DrGonzo

Jack of All Trades
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Yeah, I experienced the reverse when I upgraded to MH's.

i went from a 90 gal reef w/ sump & mh's going through about 15 to 20 gal's top off every 4 to 5 days to now i have a 75 gallon sumpless with t5's and I'm topping off about 2 to 3 gallons once a week. the new tank I have has glass covers on it and it seems to slow down the top off alot. no problems with temp yet it stays at 78.5 constant... what a pleasure

Bueller

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: