Rating - 100%
38   0   0
i cut a hole on the plexi the diameter of my fan i guess like 4 or 5 inches and i turn it on if it gets too hot, my tank gets hot because of my lights and because of the heat in my house during the winter time,i also plexi covered my DT plus it cuts down on the noise level.. ive been good so far

doctor_random

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That's the one I've got. Works like a charm, not much noisier than a fan. I am forced to have mine in an enclosure, so I have a "chiller for my chiller" - I have a 12V computer fan that vents the cabinet the chiller is in, I direct-wired the 12V computer fan power supply into the chiller power, so it turns on whenever the chiller turns on.

Your topoff problem is clearly due to your fan evaporation system.

You could also build a simple auto topoff system, level of complexity would depend on how many fail-safe modes you needed. They're easy if you're so inclined...

DrGonzo

Jack of All Trades
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Cool, thanks for the recommendation. The size might just work for me.

I do have a topoff system. I'm just constantly adding more water to my reservoir. I'd like to be able to go at least three days. Plus I'm going away for a week at the end of the month. Thank goodness my girlfriend will be around. I want to make it as easy as possible for her.

That's the one I've got. Works like a charm, not much noisier than a fan. I am forced to have mine in an enclosure, so I have a "chiller for my chiller" - I have a 12V computer fan that vents the cabinet the chiller is in, I direct-wired the 12V computer fan power supply into the chiller power, so it turns on whenever the chiller turns on.

Your topoff problem is clearly due to your fan evaporation system.

You could also build a simple auto topoff system, level of complexity would depend on how many fail-safe modes you needed. They're easy if you're so inclined...

littlebuck70

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I used to go through round 20 gallons every 3-4 days. One thing i did was turned my heaters down to where they would kick on at 70 degrees. Since doing that i want to say im doing around 20 gallons a week on average.

So i would put a top on as well as lower the heaters in the tank.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: