masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Apples and oranges.

Skimmer removes dissolved organic compounds, the proteins that accumulate and are produced in our reefs.

Carbon removes yellowing compounds and toxins that are produced by some of the toxic combatants on the reef. Carbon will polish your water so the fish look like they are floating in air.

Those are a couple of examples and over simplifying things terribly.

swimmer

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
As your water gets cleaned up by the carbon, phosban and skimmer, there will be less organics and toxins in the water to remove. You'll see peaks and valleys with regards to production of skimmate.

As for mixing the carbon and phosban, I hope you don't mean that you mix them in the same reactor. They both require different flow and also need replacing at different times. Efficiency of both or one is always being compromised.

Russ

wallysworld

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Russ,

Thats good to know because yes I was using both together. The came that way. I forget the brand but it was expensive. I am now looking at getting a BRS GFO reactor single for my 125 but I am waiting to hear back from them on how big of a tank it can handle? Right now I have a Aquavia which I think is too small for the 125 however it worked great on my 29 nano (used a minijet pump instead of theirs).
Plus hearing what you just said tells me I should put the carbon in my fluval 404 instead. Correct me if I am wrong but carbon needs high flow rate correct?

Thanks again!

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
could be Seachem's SeaGel which is a mix of their MatrixCarbon and PhosGuard.

http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/SeaGel.html

SeaGel_500mL.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: