Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
I have a 120 gal with fish and disc anemones i just finished puting some eggcrate over it to help dring the heat down .On a very hot day i unplug the main pump and run only the power heads inside the tank.

wallysworld

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Just wondering why I hear more than a 3 deg change in a short period is not good? Is this from experience? Or just a general rule? The reason I ask is because when you dive in these coral rich areas (reef) the temps change alot even on the surface. But then again all other conditions are perfect (its the ocean). Just a thought?
One more question whats a short period of time? 2,4,6 or 24 hours?

Thanks,
Walter

Rating - 100%
38   0   0
i keep my tank on average at 84. chiller kicks on at 84.9 and brings it down to about 83. i keep sps soft corals and big fish and 300w MH and 250 t5s , i have been doing this for close to 2 years i dont see why everyone keeps their temps so low, if you can keep it higher you wont have to worry as much and you wont need to run the chiller alot or have your fans trying to keep the temps low.

johnvic

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
My AC is a window unit and I did not put it in yet. At the end of last summer my ac was starting to go so I have a new one for this year. Funny thing is the super reminded me to try to install it soon while he has the time to do it.

IFoundNemo

and I put him in my tank
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Wow, my condolences to those who have had to endure the loss of their livestock, we all know thats not fun.
I left my AC in all year....was I supposed to remove from the window during the winter months?:tongue1:

2slo4me

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
as soon as the temp goes over 80 degrees outside i put on my air conditioner and leave it set at 70 degrees.... with the energy saver on... my light bill usually goes up about 25-30 bucks. no biggie. keeps all 3 of my tanks and my fat butt happy lol

johnvic

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
It's another "scorcher" today. I lowered my light timing to 6 hours from 8. I only have 1 coral, a mushroom, so I'm not worried about that. Plus I left my Azoo fans on full time. And of course I filled my ATO reservoir!

Is there such a thing as an inexpensive temperature controlled switch for the fans?

2slo4me

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
It's another "scorcher" today. I lowered my light timing to 6 hours from 8. I only have 1 coral, a mushroom, so I'm not worried about that. Plus I left my Azoo fans on full time. And of course I filled my ATO reservoir!

Is there such a thing as an inexpensive temperature controlled switch for the fans?

if you are trying to control the fan speeds you can probably use a dimmer switch of some sort... kinda like some home ceiling fans. try homedepot

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Na, I use a half gallon block on my 125. I would probably just use cubes on a nano. But you have to watch it no matter what you do. The ice doesn't do as much as you would think.

Actually ice does help drop the average tank temp by about 2 or 3 degrees, which is pretty good for a passive way to lower temp.

Best to use clean 2 liter sode bottles and fill them with rodi water and pop them in the freezer. That way if they leak, you're ok and they are very handy of you keep a couple of extras in the freezer and continually change them out as they thaw :)

The amounnt of bottles that you need to use will depend on the tank size of course!

cybermeez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
As I am reading all theses posts, I can't help but wonder....no one has air conditioners?

Which costs more to run, the AC or a chiller?

I ask because my pair of 400w metal halides throw off so much heat it was to the point where I ran virtually no heat in the livingroom this winter. Add to that the pair of mag 12s in my sump and even with evaporative cooling I could easily cook my corals. It wasn't so bad in my last apartment, but this new building holds in a lot of heat and all that evporation makes the place kinda damp.

Also what size chiller would be run on a 120g tank?

Last edited:

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
A room AC would cost more to run because you are cooling an entire room vs 120g of water. Chillers are more efficient where as a room AC would need to keep the room at say 70-72 degrees just to achieve 78 degrees in your tank. (this is dependent on how much heat producing equipment is in your setup)

Downside of a Chiller is the warm exhaust that it puts out. Unless you can vent this out or even place it outdoors, you will heat up the room which will heat up the tank etc.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: