KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Which costs more to run, the AC or a chiller?

I ask because my pair of 400w metal halides throw off so much heat it was to the point where I ran virtually no heat in the livingroom this winter. Add to that the pair of mag 12s in my sump and even with evaporative cooling I could easily cook my corals. It wasn't so bad in my last apartment, but this new building holds in a lot of heat and all that evporation makes the place kinda damp.

Also what size chiller would be run on a 120g tank?

A 1/4 hp is great for a 120.
I hear ya on the heat..I used to keep the window open in my office in the winter to keep the tanks cool enough since the MH's put out way too much heat.
I used to run a chiller but with 3 tanks in my office last year I switched to an in-room A/C unit (9500 btu's) that exhausts out through thw window and it was nice & cool in here for me & the tanks. I'd run it at 72 during the day and 7 or 75 at night...yeah 24/7. I hate heat!

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
It's another "scorcher" today. I lowered my light timing to 6 hours from 8. I only have 1 coral, a mushroom, so I'm not worried about that. Plus I left my Azoo fans on full time. And of course I filled my ATO reservoir!

Is there such a thing as an inexpensive temperature controlled switch for the fans?

Yes! If you are using PC fans, thermistors and a power transistor circuit. If you are using home fans, you need thermistor and power relay circuit.

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Maybe my return pump (40Watt) + skimmer (40Watt) puts a lot of heat in the tank? Maybe that's the trick, on really hot days, shut the energy hogs off.

In terms of triage, the return pump is one of the last things I'd shut off, after the lights; circulation's vital for oxygen transport, particularly when the temp rises and the solubility of O2 in water falls. The skimmer would be among the first things I'd shut off, as it's utterly non-vital.

Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
It's amazing that so many people invest so much in this hobby but aren't prepared for the summer. Blows my mind.

I've never had this problem before, I've always had the tanks in the basement. Plus I didn't really expect the temperature in my apartment to go up to 95 degrees when it was only 85 outside.

seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
Anyone else come home to a super heated tank last night?
I came home last night to a tank that was over 90 degrees. The ambient air temp was 95-98 degrees last night in my apt, with the windows open. In the reef the sps are bleaching bad, but the fish look fine. In my FOWLR both my puffer and the dottyback died.

Killergrgn,

Sorry for your loss. On my setup, I have multiple heaters, chiller and dual controller. When I got home, I too was surprised my chiller was on. I assume it was the first time for the season.

Even though chillers are expensive on the fuel bill, I do appreciate I don't have to futz with turning heaters on and off and not worrying because the chiller kicked in.

Good luck on your tank.

cybermeez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
Even though chillers are expensive on the fuel bill, I do appreciate I don't have to futz with turning heaters on and off and not worrying because the chiller kicked in.

Any idea what it costs roughly per month to run your chiller? What size is it? I'm seriously considering it for my next piece of equipment. I've already lost some sensitive acros to heat this year. I'm just not used to the temperature rythm of this new apartment I moved into last fall.

As it is running the room AC all day while I'm at work is already pushing my electric bill to nearly $170 per month. And it's not even May yet. I live alone in a 1 bedroom and I'm pretty sure the cat's aren't leaving the lights on when I'm not home. :catsmiley

seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
Any idea what it costs roughly per month to run your chiller? What size is it? [snip]
As it is running the room AC all day while I'm at work is already pushing my electric bill to nearly $170 per month.[snip] :catsmiley

Cybermeez,

I don't have a figure, however, I was told that a chiller probably costs to run about the same price as a small room A/C of around 5000 BTUs. So the concept is that some people find it is better for their own comfort to run the A/C on in the room and enjoy it, rather than just pay for the chiller use.

For me, this is not the case. My home office when not in use in the summer can get to 90 degrees. It is a large office and it is definitely cheaper to run the chiller on my reef tank. Because I don't have to A/C the whole room.

You will find that some people have tried fans with success. I understand that when using fans, the concept is it's the evaporation that aids in the cooling process, so an ATO would be very useful along with a controller to turn the fans off (as with a chiller), when it is not needed.

When I did go the fan route, I quickly tired of manually monitoring the tank, and it was a blessing to have a dual controller that monitors heat and chiller, so it's set and forget.

To obtain the correct size chiller, contact a vendor. They should be able to give you the size based on your tank size and how much degrees to lower it. So like with other reef equipment, you will probably up-size the chiller HP.

PS. You can get very good used equipment on MR and LIRA, or you can purchase this equipment new. If you ever get the chance to take apart a chiller, you can see that they look very simple to operate. I bought mine 3 years ago from a garage sale and it has worked like a charm.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
For an example, I use a Pacific Coast CL-650 (1/4 hp) on my 120g that has 500w of halide, 220w of VHO, closed loop Dart, PX-40 return, Mag2 for reactors, dual Eheim 1260s on skimmer (so figure the pumps generates a decent amount of heat, probably 6+ degrees). It takes on average 30-40 minutes to bring down a 2 degree temp on this setup so if I had to replace the chiller, I would bump up to a 1/3 hp chiller.

BZOFIQ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
I run the window a/c about 22 hours a day to keep the tank happy in the summer. Besides the elec bill, the only side effect is nice 68 degrees throughout almost entire appartment. It's a green star rated unit so it goes on and off as needed.

I was thinking to get a dedicated chiller but the whole idea of heating up the room to chill the tank makes me wanna barf.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: