grknyer

Official Lurker
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Wow !!! Man sorry to hear about your loss. I had a heater problem once although it wasn't nearly as devastating as your situation my MR friends helped me get through it. Goodluck and don't give up

Custom King

Vendor
Rating - 99.4%
308   2   0
Sorry!!!

E,

Man sorry to hear about your loss. If there's anything I can do just let me know? I know you'll be back bigger and better because you're a true reefer and its in your blood!!!

Good Luck :fish:

lazibonez

Senior Newbie
Rating - 100%
379   0   0
Eric, sorry to hear about the loss. If u need frags, i can give u some to start over.
I found that all heaters are just unreliable regardless of brand, thats why everyone should use at least a ranco temp controller along with it.

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Hey buddy i am one of the new members of M.F.and i just want to say we all feel your pain you just have to pick your self up, dust your self off and start over smarter than before . All i have is some kenya trees and a red cilli if you want to have some.

ecvernon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
170   0   0
finnex

this is the heater and controller that i have
http://www.aquacave.com/finnex-deluxe-electronic-brtemperature-controller-1925.html
http://www.aquacave.com/finnex-300w-deluxe-brtitanium-heating-tube-1922.html
its actually two parts which is the titanium heating tube with the heating tube controller similar to a ranco controller.
when i was using it on my display tank i plugged up the controller to my aqua controller junior.(which was not necessary because it is designed as a stand alone temperature controller).. i wanted to get things running on the tank i was setting up so I decided to use the controller for what it was designed to do...i set it up then i left only to return top the coral stew..
when i contacted the company they said it sound like it was due to a faulty circuitboard which allowed it to heat tube to get power although the controller did not activate the heater.......

this was actually bound to happen because i was actually planning to use the heater and controller on my display tank in the future when i went on vacation so i could free up a port/plug on my aquacontroller junior..in other words later on it could have been much worse.

Eric, does that mean you didnt plug it to the controller?

Last edited:

ecvernon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
170   0   0
Once again i have to say thanks for all the support from all my fellow MR members. I have got some great offers that has me super excited to get my reef back started..I was actually gonna wait a while before i started to stock back up but thanks to all you guys it will be real soon...

lazibonez

Senior Newbie
Rating - 100%
379   0   0
I see, so these titanium heater must be used with these temp controller? if so, then its just a temp adjusting device/ thermostat that is external instead.. It is still risky since u dont have another device to protect against any failure of this device. Anyways, let us know if we can help with anything.

this is the heater and controller that i have
http://www.aquacave.com/finnex-deluxe-electronic-brtemperature-controller-1925.html
http://www.aquacave.com/finnex-300w-deluxe-brtitanium-heating-tube-1922.html
its actually two parts which is the titanium heating tube with the heating tube controller similar to a ranco controller.
when i was using it on my display tank i plugged up the controller to my aqua controller junior.(which was not necessary because it is designed as a stand alone temperature controller).. i wanted to get things running on the tank i was setting up so I decided to use the controller for what it was designed to do...i set it up then i left only to return top the coral stew..
when i contacted the company they said it sound like it was due to a faulty circuitboard which allowed it to heat tube to get power although the controller did not activate the heater.......

this was actually bound to happen because i was actually planning to use the heater and controller on my display tank in the future when i went on vacation so i could free up a port/plug on my aquacontroller junior..in other words later on it could have been much worse.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
although the controller did not activate the heater....... (this part is hard to understand what their tech means, if the controller did not activate the power, how could the tubes get their power?) When you plug or connect the tube to the controller, do you plug the power cord to the controller or just a control cable?

on this note of sparing a port, I suggest using a port extension(this will lower the load on your controller), you can even diy one if you are electrically inclined.

and for those safety freak, i also suggest to use this extension cirucits with a seperate temperature controller to shut the heat/chiller main power independent of the build in controller

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: