tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Leslie, i just killed any i seen two weeks ago with kalk, just cover them with it and try to touch them so they shrivel or they will blow the kalk as well as possible spores. Haven't come back as babies yet, but im sure i'll have to get some that i can't see or are too far in to reach.

If your gonna get a butterly you might not get him out when you need him to, and he might also pick on other coral at the same time. Its also pretty hard to find one that does the job when you need him. There's only like 2 types that have a good tendancy to take out the mojano's, all the rest are more of a miss than a hit.

Pedro Nuno Ferreira

Liquid Breathing
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea how to get rid of Majanos? They have taken over my tank and are starting to kill everything else.

Hi Leslie, several possibilities have been already pointed to you, but perhaps we could help you better if you showed some photographs of the situation. In some cases cooking the rock can be a good possibility wile for others kalk or Vinegar can be a solution, and for other cases hot iron or a flame. If the amount of majanos is as high as I'm led to think, the use of so much kalk can have a deleterious impact in your system. So if it is not asking to much, please post some photographs so that we can help you to evaluate the situation a take the best action possible, case by case.

Cheers
Pedro Nuno;)

Macropora

Zoa Echino Aficionado
Rating - 100%
725   0   0
Kalkwasser and Joe's Juice works to a certain extent and then the mojano's may come back. I had an implosion of them and I limited the amount of food in the tank which contributed to their growth and focused on direct feeding instead. Good luck!

Rating - 100%
38   0   0
i bought a snails ataquarium adventures back when i really didnt know much , the kid there gave me a snail with an anemone on his shell the kid there said hey heres a cool one with something extra,back then i didnt know it was a mojano, since then it multiplied and now i have 4, they havent really done much since they r nextto my GSP, but wat i noticed was that they moved toward the light and if you cover them with a rock they'll move till they find light and reattach themselves to that rock, so far i caught 1. maybe this might help.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Leslie, this is probably not useful for you, but when I had a majano, I took the rock out of my tank, put it in a bucket, injected it with kalk with a syringe with a needle, waited for it to melt away, and then used a scraper from an old biology 101 dissection kit (you can get them at any university bookstore) to scrape away that area of the rock. You could also use scissors or something like that.

They never came back.

QUESTIONMARC

www.Questionmarc.com
Rating - 100%
376   0   0
raccoon butterfly is the only way with heavy infestation. the more you kalk and kill.. the more you will have alk swings and ammonia pops. problem with the raccon is you need to train him and watch that he doesnt go bonkers on lps.. i was THIS close to taking down the tank.. i still am contemplating.. but i have a raccoon in there and he is devouring them like no tomorrow.. so i am watching.. and waiting.. DO NOT let them get out of control .. 1 will turn into 5.. 5 into 20.. and so forth and so on.. ESPECIALLY if you are a heavy feeder.. they wont stop and there will be no beating them.. kalkwasser works better than joes joice.. i didnt find lemon juice to work at all.. but after killing 200 of them.. i had so many issues with levels.. i lost alot of sps and had really bad level swings.. its like letting a huge aneome die in your tank.. i am at the point to take it down.. till i saw and read a few people had GREAT success with raccoon butterflys and coral beauty's .. problem is.. once they are finished eating.. they go after whats next.. good luck

Last edited:

Tim

Tim`s Aquatics
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I had the same problem and I used a double saddle butterfly. He ate them all with a vengence. The only problem is he started picking on my lps and I had to take him out. Then came back the majano`s. I think the best way is to cook the rock. You will never get the one`s behind the rock and will be fighting them for ever if you decide to kalk or joe`s juice them. Good luck....

Davidl919

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I used to mix Kalk with Water until I got a toothpaste like thickness. Then I turned off all powerheads as I applied it, I only had about 5 of them if I didn't get them before they closed they usually came back in about two weeks I got rid of them and I tried a copperband butterfly once it did good at first but they came back and I lost him due to my inexperience, i'll never forget that mistake. My majanos were about the size of a nickel.

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I'll take pics as soon as I have a minute. The infestation is about as bad as it gets. I can actually siphon them off the sand and pick them off the glass. I went from having a few to several hundred over a couple of months :-(

Taking the rock apart is not really an option as sponge is pretty much the only thing holding the whole thing together. It will never go back in if I take it all out.

I know there is never an easy answer, but I was hoping for some new miracle, majano eating shrimp :)

I really don't want to add any fish, but it looks like that is my best option at this point. When I eventually start a new tank, I am going to start from scratch and be insanely vigilant. No mushrooms of any type, no aptasia, no mojano!!!!

Pedro Nuno Ferreira

Liquid Breathing
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Leslie

Things like that happen and your not the only one, believe me:shhh::tongue1:...well from your description it looks like you have a quite high organic load in your system...any way lest's wait for the photographs to help you evaluating the situation and possible actions. A Chelmon rostratus - copperband butterfly fish is probably one of the best approaches for smaller specimens of majano (Chaetodon ulietensis - Pacific two saddle buterfly fish - is also another possibility) and the injection of vinegar for the larger ones. Based on personal experience I don't recommend kalk use in cases such as yours because from your description the amount of majanos is so high, that the use of kalk can be disruptive to the health of your system. Vinegar in this case will be less problematic but dont go over 2ml per day, so this means that each 1ml syringe will allow you to kill 2 or 3 larger majanos, so 2 per day will kill 6 larger majanos...I know it is quite time consuming but at this point and to avoid taking the rock apart, and avoid water problems, it will need time.

some more reading about majanos and aiptasia (BTW they recommend Joes Juice, but we know from experience that it does not always work as we want)

Cheers
Pedro Nuno;)

Last edited:
Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
I'll take pics as soon as I have a minute. The infestation is about as bad as it gets. I can actually siphon them off the sand and pick them off the glass. I went from having a few to several hundred over a couple of months :-(

Taking the rock apart is not really an option as sponge is pretty much the only thing holding the whole thing together. It will never go back in if I take it all out.

I know there is never an easy answer, but I was hoping for some new miracle, majano eating shrimp :)

I really don't want to add any fish, but it looks like that is my best option at this point. When I eventually start a new tank, I am going to start from scratch and be insanely vigilant. No mushrooms of any type, no aptasia, no mojano!!!!
I love your mushrooms. I gave them out to my friends and in turns they also love them. When you throw them out, I will at the apt again.:tongue1:

Macropora

Zoa Echino Aficionado
Rating - 100%
725   0   0
I haven't heard anyone trying this but it also works:

1. Move the rocks with the mojano to a cooler environment (eg. basement, leave the heater out and keep them in the dark) in a tank by itself with a circulating pump and no lights! I found that with the colder water temperatures and the lack of light that the mojano's came off the rocks more easily, they slowly moved up to the top of the tank or they just started to slowly wither away and die. Takes several weeks to months.

-OR-

2. Bleach the crap out of the rocks with the mojano's on it and then rinse after an hour or two. You will need to let the rocks dry out for several months so that no bleach get's back into the tank.

If you don't want to wait, try the butterfly's as recommended...

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I love your mushrooms. I gave them out to my friends and in turns they also love them. When you throw them out, I will at the apt again.:tongue1:

Are you talking about the ugly red/brown ones and the blue ones? I'll start saving them up for you. I just throw them in the trash whenever I catch one floating around the tank.

Thanks for all the good advice. I'll post some pics just so you can laugh at the state of things :)

JonnyIce

Used as bait
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Ah I just realized that these were the things I have in my tank :(. They were just on one small branch rock but the other day I saw one pop up in the middle of little colony on the other side of the tank...eek :(. I have some kalk, so I'd like to try that...I have a Biocube 29, so I'm not sure I can handle the bioload of another fish,.

QUESTIONMARC

www.Questionmarc.com
Rating - 100%
376   0   0
copperband does not eat manjanos.. never in my expeirence anyways.. pratt is right.. the raccoon and saddleback go after them first.. i also am trainign a coral beauty as well.. all three tear these things to shreds.. i have a raccoon in right now and he is TEARING them apart.. of course i moved ALL lps to the frag system.. and i will watch him around the zoas and sps.. but right now.. he is wacking their little a$$es up! i will keep you posted..

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: