Salty Dog

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90.9%
20   2   0
Where is you Ca level with the ProCal? I nevered heard people can't get a procal up to 400+ ppm, it is one of the best Ca reactor you can get.

You will need a Kalk reactor that holds 5+ gallons of water for a 700gallon system, you'll be buying 50 lbs bags of kalk too :lol2: Been there...

My tank stays around 400ppm, so I boost it with B-Ionic, I had a guy over yesterday with the same reactor, he has the same issue do he has a doing pump hooked to his B-Ionic jugs

ClosetFishGeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
My tank stays around 400ppm, so I boost it with B-Ionic, I had a guy over yesterday with the same reactor, he has the same issue do he has a doing pump hooked to his B-Ionic jugs[/quot\

I have a procal reactor and my calcium is always in the 440 level. dkh 8. I have a 210 with mostly sps....What kind of salt are you using ? I never had to dose for calcium....

Salty Dog

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90.9%
20   2   0
My tank stays around 400ppm, so I boost it with B-Ionic, I had a guy over yesterday with the same reactor, he has the same issue do he has a doing pump hooked to his B-Ionic jugs[/quot\

I have a procal reactor and my calcium is always in the 440 level. dkh 8. I have a 210 with mostly sps....What kind of salt are you using ? I never had to dose for calcium....

Im using Reef crystals, and 4 trace elements. I does every day to maintane 450 ish. Im woundering if the media is just plain no good? I got it from Exotic Pet in Yonkers and it looked like it was sitting there for a while do to the dust on the top

knockout

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Hi i use a Kalk reactor (stirrer) in my 112g.

In left a Ca Reactor, in right a the kalk reactor.
There is pump outside the reactor that mix the kalk before dosage.

dsc01514.jpg

Hug

I have the PM Kalk reactor and its great keeping the calcium alk and ph levels stable....

question for the guys using a calcium and kalk reactors
how do you balance the two reactors, do you have both running on 24/7 schedules?

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
I have the PM Kalk reactor and its great keeping the calcium alk and ph levels stable....

question for the guys using a calcium and kalk reactors
how do you balance the two reactors, do you have both running on 24/7 schedules?

Most Ca reactor is on 24/7. Kalk reactor get stirred either 24/7 or mixed with a timer control, how often and how much of the mixed Kalk Water is being pumped into your system is based on your evaporation and is typically controlled in conjunction with an auto topoff system..

SethKim

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Hi reefers,

I'm glad that I'm not the only one constantly mind buggled with issues such as maintaining Ca2+ level and dropping PO4. I'm intermediate aquarist always trying some random stuff and I thought this may clarify few ideas written in this tread. I have no intension to offend anyone!!! http://www.aquacare.de/info/tipps/e1kalkwa.htm#Welche%20Art

My rule of thum with reefkeeping is not to go cheap, cause it comes back as Karma!!! so adding Calcium reactor is ++++ that I recommend to reefers!!!

Here is great website that explain how Calcium reactor works and how Kalkwasser works! so read it here!!!

"
You can hear very often that "Kalkwasser" and Chalk Reactor are not working together very well. The only problems you can get is that both outlets "Kalkwasser" and Chalk Reactors are dropping their water together at one point. At this point Calcium Carbonate will precipitate and the efficiency of both systems will drop. But if both outlets are fare away from each other or the systems will not work at the same time nothing will occur and you have the advantages from both systems:
First the CO2 in the aquarium water that is produced by every Chalk Reactor will be neutralized partial by the "Kalkwasser" (pH rising). Second the lack of buffer capacity (KH value) that will follow the "Kalkwasser" input will be compensated with a Chalk Reactor. With the combination of "Kalkwasser" and Chalk Reactor you can lower the daily pH oscillations: at night the "Kalkwasser" will compensate the falling pH and during the daytime the Chalk Reactor will reduce the rising of the pH. But therefore you need strong systems that are able to produce Calcium and KH within some hours per day.
It is possible, too, to combine Carbonate Hardness supplies (e.g. KH-plus, Triple Buffer), Calcium solutions (e.g. Calcium-plus) and Magnesium solutions (e.g. Magnesium-plus). These substances are very comfortable in small aquaria of if the installed systems (Chalk Reactor, "Kalkwasser" Reactor) are too weak. In some aquaria one of the both values calcium and KH are not in order. In that cases you can rise only this value with the care substances very easily. But for this methods the same rule: only use them separately. " http://www.aquacare.de/info/tipps/e1kalkwa.htm#Welche Art

so here is the summary!
Calcium reactor works best around Ph 6.5-6.7 which is acidic (electron donor) Kalkwasser water is around 11-12 they say, I think we aquarist tend to supersaturate it so its probably >12, (electron acceptor) so we have two players that are willing to participate! one who is going to donate electron and the other thats willing to accept the electron! How do we keep in balance? dKH buffer is the fulcrum in the middle of the two that balances the seesaw of acid and base.

So in order to achieve/maintain Ca2+level 450ppm in closed system, you have to work your water parameters also. (I personally try to aim for around 410ppm calcium level, thats whats found in natural sea water @ 1.025ppm salinity, 74degrees, Theoretically speaking, I don't think 450ppm is even possible unless you shift the equalibrium oneway)
First, eveything is affected by temperature! in general rule of thumb enzyme reaction rate is doubled per 10degree/Celsius increase. It also affects Oxygen saturation level. Celcius converted to Ferenheight I used to think of the temp difference lightly, but I'm a firm believer now, especially in a reeftank, because we are dealing with trace elements in PPM(parts per million).
Temperature affects Salinity! and Salinity affects the solubility of Calcium along with other inorganics. Amount of trace elements, i.e Magnesium plays key role in keeping up with Calcium! So its does play a role, I tend to just follow the manufacture's instruction and not test it!

Kalkwasser reactors are great, but I personally don't think they are worth the money!!!($300-500) especially whey they come with maxi jet pump!!! horrible design!
I recommend DIY Kalkwasser reactor! the idea is to constantly stirr the kalkwasser in a closed container to prevent limewater from reacting with CO2 right? So get a 5gal salt water bucket, and put a lid! If you want to get fancy, go to ebay, type in magnetic stirrer and buy a cheap stirrer! ($10-30) along with magnetic bar! there you got yourself a kalk reactor! You can even put a float valve inside a bucket, and a nipple that connects to the sump float valve to replenish evap water!!!!

How to raise dKH? use your ARM, I mean Arm & Hammer Baking Soda, its cheap, (almost pharmaceutical grade)...FDA & Hospital approved. So save your money !!!!

I strongly recommend Kalkwasser use because it also lowers PO4 level;
Calcium reacts with phosphate to yield Ca3(PO4)3, which is harmless.

I hope this clarified some misconceptions!!!
Calcium reactor
Kalwasser
Buffer
all three components works well separately, but they can be used together to produce optimum results!

Happy reefing!!!!

Last edited:

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
The only thing that I don't like about hobby grade stirrers are that they tend to be not pressurized and therefore will form the kalk skin of the column surface vs pressurized reactors utilizing maxi-pumps.
They also need to be gravity drained vs a pressurized reactor.

jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
i just use the tunze osmolator kalk reactor. you could diy the thing with a one liter soda bottle and save yourself $100. it works just fine, and uses the ato's pump to stir the media. the check valve that prevents the kalk from back-siphoning into the pump/freshwater basin needs to be replaced every so often, and the tunze osmolator pump is a pos, but all in all it works.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: