Salty Dog

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90.9%
20   2   0
Hey people,

Ok now Im leaning towards a Kalkwasser system for my 225 but I want to know what the difference is between a stirrer and a reactor, please dont say well the stirrer stirs the media, I want to know if both are needed and why. Thanks Bill

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Stirrers slowly stirs the kalk powder 24/7 (unless you place it on a timer or if the model has a built in timer). Stirrers will keep the vessel saturated since the kalk is always stirred but also leaves a kalk skin on the surface of the water column since the reactor is not pressurized. You also need to watch the amount of kalk added as too much will hinder the stir rod which can lead to stripping of the step motor gear.

Reactors use mostly maxi-jet pumps to MIX the kalk solution in the vessel. You need to use an electronic appliance timer to set the intervals and mix times. Dependent on how much water is pumped through, size of reactor, you need to adjust the intervals. Mix time normally stays at 1 minute. This type of reactor is pressurized so you do not get the kalk skin that forms on top of the water column. With a reactor, you do not need to be as concerned with the amount of kalk added (within reason) since there is no step motor gear that will strip or bearings that will bind BUT it is a common maintenence issue to replace the inpellar for the maxi-jet and or sometimes the entire pump since kalk is so caustic on pumps/powerheads.

Ricardo_Jorge

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi i use a Kalk reactor (stirrer) in my 112g.

In left a Ca Reactor, in right a the kalk reactor.
There is pump outside the reactor that mix the kalk before dosage.

dsc01514.jpg

Hug

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Hi i use a Kalk reactor (stirrer) in my 112g.

In left a Ca Reactor, in right a the kalk reactor.
There is pump outside the reactor that mix the kalk before dosage.

dsc01514.jpg

Hug

I think yours is a mixer\reactor, unless I am not seeing the stirrer stick or the magnetic stirring motor on the bottom.

I have pretty much tried all of them (except the Deltec), PM reactor is about as low maintenance as you are going to get. You can load up a lot more Kalk than the mag stirrer or Deltec\AquaMedic reactors. DO NOT BUY the MRC, the stupid mag stirrer jumps off way too often and pretty much a piece of crap.

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
popup_image.php

Looks like they finally decided their old copycat design didn't work well.

Blueline for a mixing pump is pretty much more of a maintenance headache, I guess they don't know Kalk like to calcify around a warm object, such as the magnetically coupled pump head. :irked: I rather be buying $15 maxijets as a spare (which I can use in my QT tank) than spending more for a impeller.

Salty Dog

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90.9%
20   2   0
ok right now I have only a Pro Cal calcium reactor on my system, It keeps my level of KH around 9 but I can never get my level of calcium to reach 450 where I would like to be. So Im dosing manually B-Ionic to boost Calcium. I have a SPS tank 225g, but can see a 700g in the near future, so I want to buy with that in mind.

Ricardo_Jorge

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the same problem with my Ca reactor.
Now i?m using balling for Ca and Alk. And it?s perfect for me.!
It?s much more safety!

Hug

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
ok right now I have only a Pro Cal calcium reactor on my system, It keeps my level of KH around 9 but I can never get my level of calcium to reach 450 where I would like to be. So Im dosing manually B-Ionic to boost Calcium. I have a SPS tank 225g, but can see a 700g in the near future, so I want to buy with that in mind.

Where is you Ca level with the ProCal? I nevered heard people can't get a procal up to 400+ ppm, it is one of the best Ca reactor you can get.

You will need a Kalk reactor that holds 5+ gallons of water for a 700gallon system, you'll be buying 50 lbs bags of kalk too :lol2: Been there...

ClosetFishGeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
Cali have you had any experience with this reactor ? http://www.aquacare.de/produkte/kalk/e2turbo.htm

Where is you Ca level with the ProCal? I nevered heard people can't get a procal up to 400+ ppm, it is one of the best Ca reactor you can get.

You will need a Kalk reactor that holds 5+ gallons of water for a 700gallon system, you'll be buying 50 lbs bags of kalk too :lol2: Been there...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: