basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
Moderators need to be more moderate

If someone is looking for interest in a group buy it should be allowed. It is too much work to go through if you have no clue as to whether it is worth the bother.

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
Group buys seems to be a thing of the past.
I think the fact that group buys have just about stopped is a good indicator that the rules are too strict. I understand the need for rules. But doing a group buy is a lot of work as it is. Having rules that make it even more difficult just convinces members that it is not worth the bother. I do not have any good advice on how to make it work. But if we can't improve it then maybe just remove it.

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
With the increase in vendors selling everything from dry goods to livestock on the site, the need for group buys has diminished.

Thanks for your opinion!

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
The current group buy rules were created out of necessity to protect our members, and the site itself.
As you stated running a group buy is complex and doing one well is not easy. We have to make sure people know what they are getting into before running one.

DevIouS

- Untitled -
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
. It is too much work to go through if you have no clue as to whether it is worth the bother.......

...I do not have any good advice on how to make it work.

It's statements like these that rules are in place.
It takes alot more to organizing a GB then creating a thread stating "let's buy from this place."

There have been successful GB's since the rules have been in place & there is a reason for that.

If there was a GB where things didn't go right, the name of this thread would probably be "Why don't Moderators moderate GB's."

MatthewScars

Guns, Razors, Knives.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
If there was a GB where things didn't go right, the name of this thread would probably be "Why don't Moderators moderate GB's."

PWNT.png

TimberTDI

Recovering Lurker
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
With the increase in vendors selling everything from dry goods to livestock on the site, the need for group buys has diminished.

Thanks for your opinion!

Being serious for a moment: Is it really the increase in vendor selling or the increase in vendor whining? We all saw how many vendors were genuinely shocked that members are allowed to trade corals at a frag swap. I can only imagine what the extent of complaints sent via email and PMs must have been. The truth of the matter is that the rules are put there to protect the bottom line of both the vendors and Manhattan Reefs. Which by all means should be allowed, just don't do it under the shroud of protecting Joe Q. Reefer.

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
You can imagine all you'd like, but I don't know of a single vendor complaint regarding member group buys. The issues are a member's ability to pull one off, the impacts on other members if they can't/don't, ( bad group buys are bad, really bad) and a history of GB organizers misrepresenting themselves as speaking for MR. Which IMO are exactly the kinds of situations MR administration should be trying to prevent-- for both members and the reputation of the organization.

Last edited:

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Bsaib - Do you know of any specific situation or is this just a general complaint ? I havent experienced any problems with group buys, or the lack of, other than most of them are out of my geographical pickup range. I do think that there is a great selection of vendors and sponsors here and I regularly see group buys, some even organized by the vendors themselves.

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
I have yet to hear one vendor complain about group buys impacting their business. It has nothing to do with why we created the rules. The main issues the rules address are:

New members running GBs
Members profiting from GBs
Members representing the website when organizing a GB

Also, I'm not sure where you got the impression that vendors complained about members trading/selling at our swap. All of the vendors at our last swap have been to other swaps before and know exactly what is going to occur. Are there members who take advantage of the open nature of the swap to do some vendoring of their own? Yes. We do our best to police this but it has not been an issue that has generated a large amount of complaints.

TimberTDI

Recovering Lurker
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Also, I'm not sure where you got the impression that vendors complained about members trading/selling at our swap. All of the vendors at our last swap have been to other swaps before and know exactly what is going to occur. Are there members who take advantage of the open nature of the swap to do some vendoring of their own? Yes. We do our best to police this but it has not been an issue that has generated a large amount of complaints.

Did you happen to read this thread?
http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/general-discussion/59207-swap-feedback.html

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: