Galantra

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I need some help in setting up a frag tank, since my larger tank still hasn't been set up yet I been getting a lot of frags filling up my 42 hex. So recently a couple of my corals (SPS) are starting to bleach and I lost one already. I want to relocate them to a seperate tank so there is more space plus I can watch them. Since I have a couple of smaller tank I would like to use my 30 gal high tank since the others are smaller

How should I set this tank up to be a frag tank?
Will it be ok for me to move my corals into a completely new system?

Planing on using:
Egg crate
hang on filter (aqua 110)
Heater, powerheads
Plan on dosing as well

benjamin

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
put the eggcrate on legs to allow good flow all around the corals.
next time you do a water change from the main system use the water to fill the frag tank, with maybe 10% new water. leave it a couple of days while testing and then place the frags in. i would try and use a skimmer too if you can. feed well and give them good lighting, make sure phos levels are zero and nitrates are low as per usual.

bimmer01

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96%
194   8   0
+1 with benjamin's comment. Def use your water change from your main tank and put them into your frag tank. Have a T5 or MH light, skimmer, pump and heater on your frag tank. Everything should be fine.

benjamin

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would use the regular amount of water you change from the old tank, then do the same again 2 days later until you have filled the new tank. if you see what i mean

Galantra

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Ok i am having a situation with some of my fargs not looking good. What i ended up doing was just connecting the frag tank to my established system. Currently i have some frags bleaching from the bottom what could that be? What is there i can do to adjust these additions since i still have more frags coming in

darkdrako

Looks mean doesn't she!?
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
The cyano can appear because there is not enough water flow in the that area of the tank and both algaes use phosphates/nitrates to grow. Try adjusting the powerheads to get more flow to the bottom of the tank and maybe try some Chemipure Elite in the hob filter. It has Ferric Iron Oxide which is supposed to help reduce phosphates and silicates. A waterchange may be in order as well.

Galantra

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Its kinda strange to me, I went ahead and attach the frag tank on my current system and thats where i started to get all the hair algae but I no issues within the main tank? I went ahead and purchase a denitrifier just to be on the safe side since i have more corals coming in

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: