gforce6

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I am having a problem with redish algae. Is there any way I can get this off in my tank?
I am using tap water, it is hard for me to install RODI filter. Please help....

DSC07146.JPG

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
I had that problem for sometime until I started using "drinking water" from K-Mart. It came in 2.5 gal jugs and processed using "carbon filtration, UV treatment, reverse osmosis, microfiltration and ozonation(?)" It tested zero nitrates and phosphates which solved my cyano issues. Then again, all I have are small tanks, so a few jugs goes a long way for me.

Dean.

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Not to be harsh (I don't mean to), but it is impossible to keep a sucessful reef tank with tap water. You will always have problems!! Pure water (RO/DI) is THE MOST important factor in keeping a reef. All your going to be able to grow (long term) is unwanted algae with tap water.

JMHO.

Pseudo

OG Member
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
You can keep a sucessful reef tank with (NYC) tap water. But that is another discussion. If you are already having problems with your tank with algae you have a few things to do.

1. Water change with RO/DI water. This is to eliminate any possible infusion of phosphate into the tank and to dilute what is in the tank now. Also Nitrates in a tank can cause algea problems. So eliminating both is necessary.

2. Look at your fish load. If you are feeding your tank because of fish you will have a problem. All fish food has phosphates in it. Cut down on your feeding.

3. Lighting.If your lights are too old you will get problems as the spectrum will increase in the range that is good for algae. Too intense lighting will also benefit algae growth once the problem has started. Cut back on your photoperiod if this is the case.

4.Phosphate remover. I always helps to get rid of the causative agent. Try to pull out or siphon out excess algae if you can. That leaves you less to deal with. Blowing the dust (detritus) off of your rock will also help you as excess food and phospate will be removed from the tank. (if you do it right before a water change) This give the food and stuff less of a chance to break down into harmful bi-products.

HTH

StephenEvans

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Okay.. since you don't have a RO/DI system.. that's fine.. just use this.. it works good and cheap!.. been using it for 8 months, GREAT if u have a small tank!

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4484&Ntt=tap%20water%20filter&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&N=2004&Nty=1

Algae doesn't lok that bad. Try to cut down food (feed every other day), change light bulbs, circulation, cut down light hours per day. Becareful with REMOVER chemicals as some might hurt your corals.

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
If you can't hook up an RO/DI for whatever reason, do like everyone is saying by using a deionization filter such as the Tap Water Purifier for water changes, siphon out what you can during WEEKLY water changes, increase water movement to eliminate dead areas, install a media reactor such as the Phosban 150 reactor and utilize either Phosban or RowaPhos Granular Ferric Oxide, don't use the aluminum based ones such as Kent's or Seachems. Try to use the media in the forementioned reactor. A reactor will be much more effective than in a media bag in your sump, change your carbon or start using some if your not, put the EV-240 that you got from MSHUR to work and overskim (wet watery skim)that puppy, cut your feeding down to half (don't worry, fish are cold blooded so they do not need to exhaust all that energy to keep warm like mammals do, a 30-60 second feeding is good for now, and if your bulbs whether actinic or MH are over 12 months old, change them.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Jung, you can install an RO/DI. Get the faucet attachment. Its fits on any sink....

BTW, I was getting the same red algae as you. It turned out that the Oceanic salt that I was using was defective. A freshly made saltwater solution with the oceanic salt had a reading of .5ppm PO4

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Hey Warrren,
Reimbursed huh....now there's an idea ;) I'll contact the company and see what they say. Glad to hear the nana is doing well.

gforce6

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Wow, a lots of reply. Thanks guys,,,,

I ordered RODI 100GPD From e-bay. As soon as I install the RODI, I will get the rock out of my tank and brush it off much as I can. Hope it works.

Thanks again,

Jung

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
I sent a letter to customer service at Oceanic last week and still have not recieved a reply. I sent another letter today. If I do not recieve a reply in the next few days, I will bash the hell out of them on Reefcentral :mad:

jcurry

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jung
Don't take the rock out of your tank. There's a good chance that the bacteria & other life on the rock will die. This will cause a nitrate spike in the tank. Just siphon the algae out during water changes. Also cerith snails will help control the cyano on the sand & the rocks near the sand.

Jeff

gforce6

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Wooops!!

I already started taking the rock out one a day, brushed it off and put it to my other tank.
Since this algae is stick to the rock real good more like cotton ball, I don't have any choice but brush it off real hard.

My plan is move all the rocks to my other tank, (I am running 55G FO tank without any live rocks) and get more rocks to fill my 65G tank with RODI water. Do some rock works.

I will post my tank picture after done all the work.

Thanks again guys,,,

Jung

arconom

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi guys I just want to mention there is a discussion on this type of Algae on Reef Central. Regardless of RO/DI or not it is a issue.

Look in the topic with the heading Oceanic salt and Algae or something on those lines.

I know for a fact RO/DI is not a issue since I have this Algae. I also use a RO/DI unit and a TDS on the meter of 0. Not only that a Nitrate of 0. Also undetectable phosphate.

There is a link also of a known article written on this specific algae.

If you have a hard time finding the arcticle search my name Arconom.

As Of now From others with the problem, some have used Mexican turbo snails. So I bought some and there eating it slowly.

Link to Article-http://www.aquatouch.com/algae.htm

[ December 04, 2004, 12:44 AM: Message edited by: arconom ]

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: