SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I recently bought 1 gallon of Kent Marine Turbo Magnesium and it is running out fast. But instead of spending $30 per gallon, what if I use Seachem Reef Advantage Magnesium instead? Has anyone used this brand before? Pros? Cons?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4787

For your initial raising of your mag, just use cheapass epsom salts. Once you get the mag up to where you want it, use the expensive stuff for maintenance. ;)

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Im having a low mag issue and picked up the seachem advanced mag. but have to bring my 120 gals up 300 mg. Should i use epson salt instead?

I would. Just keep it to about 100ppm/day, from what I've read, and you should be fine. I've done significant adjustments and everything in my tank's happy. (Well, at least when it isn't being eaten by something else in my tank...) I don't think anyone's shown that sulfate buildup causes any real problem, with water changes, and even if you're worried about that, the sulfate addition is relatively small and, when epsom salts are not used for maintenance of the Mg levels, will be systematically reduced by your regular water changes.

Simon Garratt

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd go even less than that to be honest. Ive had some very odd reactions in Montiporas and A.efflorescens from elevating Mg too quickly...I used to recommend no more than 50ppm per day increase, but ive now changed opinion after that episode and only recommend an increase of 50ppm/week done over 2 x 25ppm increases if you have sensitive SPS in the system.

not saying Sevtt is wrong...Ive done larger increases myself in the past with less sensitive stock without issue, but these days i tend to air on the side of caution...the slowly slowly catchy monkey approach..

Regards

kevo220

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Its cheaper if you go to Bulkreefsupply.com

Bulkreefsupply is the way to go. I set up an auto dosing system with 2 buckets 2 aqualifter pumps and 2 timers (you could use 1 if you wanted) to dose calcium and alk. I got 7lb containers of each along with a 7 lb container of magnesium all for about $50-55. I've got 600 gallons in tank systems and the chemicals I got will last me about 10 months! cant beat that.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: