aborrero4u

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
My Ph always seems to be at about 8, I was told that trying to rectify the ph level by using api proper PH is always not the best thing. My question to you is then how do I steadily maintain a ph of 8.2, if I always doing water changes? I was told that Reef Crystal Salt is really good. Currently I am using Instant Ocean Aquarium Salt. Should I change over?

Also I am currently running, pre filter, biomax and carbon in my 405. I thought that in a saltwater tank, you need to have all three types of filtration, mechanical, biolgical and chemical. If I decide to use chemi pure and gfo solely in the 405, which I plan on doing asap then which filtration components am I fufilling and which do I need? I have gotten my tank to be clear with little cloudyness, but I have seen stores in which the water clarity is remarkably pristene, thats what I want. Any insight would be much appreciated.

aborrero4u

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
are you testing for calcium, magnesium ? what are you using to test with ? where does ph test come from ? people will argu back and forth on the canister filter, i say no good period, we all hopefully are looking long term in the hobby. what size tank ect.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=102605

Its a 72 bow front, I currently test for nitrate, nitrite, ammonia and ph, using apis' master test kit, which I hear are very inaccurate. Im nt testing for calcium or magnesium dont have those kits.No corals or zoas, or mushrooms right now as I has a semi crash last month when I went on vaction. As for the filter I clean it out once a week.

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
My Ph always seems to be at about 8, I was told that trying to rectify the ph level by using api proper PH is always not the best thing. My question to you is then how do I steadily maintain a ph of 8.2, if I always doing water changes? I was told that Reef Crystal Salt is really good. Currently I am using Instant Ocean Aquarium Salt. Should I change over?

Your Calcium, Alkalinity, and/or Magnesium levels are probably out of whack. Test for all three, and when you correct them, the problem will pretty much correct itself.

Reef Crystals have more of all of the above than Instant Ocean, but if you test and supplement your mix, either's OK.

Also I am currently running, pre filter, biomax and carbon in my 405. I thought that in a saltwater tank, you need to have all three types of filtration, mechanical, biolgical and chemical. If I decide to use chemi pure and gfo solely in the 405, which I plan on doing asap then which filtration components am I fufilling and which do I need? I have gotten my tank to be clear with little cloudyness, but I have seen stores in which the water clarity is remarkably pristene, thats what I want. Any insight would be much appreciated.

Describe the cloudyness. Is it microbubbles?

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
If you what long term success in the hobby i would suggest investing in a ph monitor for an accurate ph reading trust me it's worth it.You will find the hobby less confusing .Ph is very important when it comes to marine animals especially inverts . The information given above is useless without an accurate ph reading imo.If your animals were doing fine in the past with instant ocean keep using it.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Some info that may be of help to you on sourcing/solving pH issues (thats if you actually have one...a reliable good quality probe will allways outcompete a liquid test kit ime) 'Knowing' you have an issue, is different from 'thinking' you have an issue, and crucial before making any system changes.

http://www.reef-eden.net/chasing_ph.htm

regards

Great article Simon, very well explained for even the newest reefer to understand. I'll definitely be using that link in the future to help others with this often confusing issue!

Simon Garratt

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pleasure to be of help Kathy..

You've just reminded me... its about time I dragged over some other articles now that they have run out of back copies.

job no...1001 on the 'To do' list of website management..:tongue1:

Regards

aborrero4u

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Your Calcium, Alkalinity, and/or Magnesium levels are probably out of whack. Test for all three, and when you correct them, the problem will pretty much correct itself.

Reef Crystals have more of all of the above than Instant Ocean, but if you test and supplement your mix, either's OK.

Describe the cloudyness. Is it microbubbles?
I believe it is micro bubbles. I can see through from one side of the tank to the other, but I have seen better clarity.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: