2slo4me

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
I used a betta breeder that hangs over my sump.... i put a bunch of bioballs or biostones on the bottom got a peice of plastic and drilled many holes in it then used a sponge on top.... ppl laughed at me at 1st but then they ask why is your tank so clear... lol

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Polyfilter will give a similar result.

The main thing the socks do is keep large particles from passing through the sump. If you use the polyfilter you should try and position it so nothing can get around it.

One thing to note, the polyfilters will not handle the same rate of flow as a fresh filter sock.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
My tank is pretty clear I believe, and I don't use filter socks. What say you Anthony? Is my tank clear? You can be honest, I won't get offended.;) I have them, but they are an extraordinarily pita to change the where my drains are. Plus if not constantly change they would cause the tank to flood my floors.;(

Last edited:

geldof

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
I typically run no sock, just a mesh bag to keep large particles out of the sump and from clogging the protein skimmer. I throw a sock in for a few hours only when the substrate gets stirred up or when I scrape coralline algae off of the glass.

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
If you took a deep sand bed and somehow filtered water through it.
Maybe a wide column with a fine screen material at the base and fine to coarse sand inside it. Put this in your sump.
You would basically have a DSB/gravity fed canister filter that would act as a particulate filter and would be simple to make.

Would it need to be cleaned out on a regular basis?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: