chanman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
the problem was the nylon tape. He didn't screw the barb fitting slowly with the nylon on. So the nylon got all mangled up. Notice in the first pic, theres nylon sticking out in between. The nylon is deflecting that drop of water outward.

Hopefully he'll man up and PVC cut it already. Russ it is easy but its just hes very nervous about the potential of breaking the bulkhead/glass.

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Well... I wish I could say I was done but with my luck...

Went to Home Depot, got my PVC Cutter (the revolving one so there's less force :) ), got my PVC Adaptors, but THEY DON'T HAVE PLASTIC BARBSSSS.

Fishtown ran out...so I will have to wait. In the meantime I used this Insta Plumbers Putty and it has been holding out. I will use it till I get the barb.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Don't let that Plumbers Putty lure you into a false sense of security. Fix it properly and forget about it. ;)

Those 'revolving' cutters are for copper pipe. I could be wrong, but I don't ever recall seeing them for PVC. Re-read my instructional post about loosening up the bulkhead and you won't have any issue cracking the tank that way.

Check with Lowe's for the barbed fittings. I'm finding that the Lowe's by me has a much better plumbing supply department than HD has. Might be geographical for their inventory selection & stocking, but the difference between HD and Lowe's has become substantial.

If you can't locate the fitting, LMK. I'm sure I can come up with one.

Russ

Yen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Barb Fittings

Look for them in the Sprinkler section, they're usually next in the plumbing section. All Lowes have them, some HDs do some don't.

The problem was you didn't wrap enough Teflon tape around the thread.

Yen

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: