aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Hello Everybody,

I just set up a 72 Bow Front. Was Running great and plumbing set up was awesome. But somehow. I ended up with a STUPID LEAK in the return line :irked:, small one like 1/2 a drip.

That's how it was before the silicone. If you look to the right that little gap between the hose adaptor and pvc pipe is where the leak is. The drain is fine.
DSC_0664.jpg

So to remedy the problem, I tried to use my ugly craftsmanship to fix it. I have big hands so it was hard. The drip is only coming from the front portion because the nylon tape came off a little bit of the fitting.

I put Aquarium Silicone under it to fill the gap... still leaked. I put PVC Glue on top of the silicone... less leak. Then I put the bathroom silicone gel. A little better but coming through
DSC_0671.jpg

HELP ME PLEASE

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Can you shut off the return until you get a chance to fix it properly? If you run power heads in both the DT & sump in the meantime to keep circulation and oxygen exchange going - your creatures will be fine.

I'd cut that piece of pvc above where the leak is and replace that section with a longer piece to fill the void. Aquarium silicone will never seal a leak once it has started :(
Of course you would need to place something over the bulkhead that is leading to the return that is leaking.(assuming it is at the bottom of the tank and you don't want to drain it).. .something flat and strong. The water pressure should keep it in place while you are working on a fix, but do keep a bucket under the whole sha-bang while you are fixing it!

If you hadn't gotten quite so much goo on there during your temp fix, a latex glove tied around there might have slowed the leak down a bit more/better ;)

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Do you think I can just cut the silicone. and just unscrew that adapter again?

The problem is all the PVC there is glued. I feel that if I cut it I risk breaking the tempered glass due to the force.

Yea the goo looks horrible, but I just needed a quick fix before I headed off to work.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Do you think I can just cut the silicone. and just unscrew that adapter again?

The problem is all the PVC there is glued. I feel that if I cut it I risk breaking the tempered glass due to the force.

Yea the goo looks horrible, but I just needed a quick fix before I headed off to work.

It's definitely worth a try but I think you run the same risk trying to unscrew it as in trying to cut it. If you do try to cut it, best to use a PCV cutter as it might stress the area of the bulkhead less.
I don't envy the postion you are in there - that is downright scary to do!

Let's see if Masterswimmer chimes in - he usually comes up with some creative ideas! :)

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Yea I guess we'll have to wait till morning lol.

If anything I had another idea... what if I turned off the return pump. Dried the area. then used PVC Primer for the glue. Glued it... and then I did a proper Caulk job. hmmm

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Ok, where to start................
Was this an entry into the prettiest plumbing job?
Sorry, if you're going to accept my help, you've got to accept one jab. Just one, I promise :biggrin:

Russ

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Let's start with the cable tie. Your overflow is done properly (albeit it should only need one single cable tie). If you cannot slide, push, squish, jamb or cajole the vinyl tubing onto the barbed fitting, a good trick of the trade is to either take some VERY hot tap water (or boil some in the microwave) and put the end of the vinyl tubing into the boiling water for just a few seconds to soften it up. Then you should be able to slide it onto the barbed fitting with ease. Believe it or not, you can even soften the tubing by turning on a hair dryer onto the hottest setting and directing the air at the tubing. While the tubing is still soft, align the cable tie with the tubing on the barbed fitting as far as it can go while still situated on the tubing and tighten the cable tie as much as possible.

Next post will address your leaky fitting.

Russ

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Lol. Jab as much as you want. I'm so STUPID ugh haha.

Here is a close up. 3/4 of the pipe isn't leaking. It's only the place where the nylon tape came off the threads (probably left a gap).

DSC_0662-1.jpg

I am lookin at PVC Cutters at Home Depot. How should I go about this Masterswimmer. I am your grasshoppa.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
The return line.....
If your return bulkhead sits in an overflow inside your display tank (DT), I would do the following:

- Turn off your return pump while leaving your internal flow on (powerheads).

- Hopefully your overflow and return bulkheads are enclosed within a glass or acrylic overflow box separating this section from the rest of your DT. If this is the case then proceed with these directions.

- While your return pump is off, remove the section of plumbing inside your overflow box connected to the return bulkhead. This should allow all the water in the overflow box to drain into your sump.

- At this time your overflow box should be empty of any water (other than small puddles at the bottom). Assuming this is correct, proceed.....

- Loosen the return bulkhead. It doesn't have to be removed, just loosen it so that it wiggles freely.

- Now you can take either a PVC cutter or small hacksaw and cut the bushing below the bulkhead and above the barbed fitting. Cut the pvc as close to the bushing as possible. This will leave you some room to re-cement this piece in our next step....... next post.

Russ

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
........Once you've cut the pvc, you should be able to remove the 'temporary fix' fitting and the barbed fitting as well. You can either save those pieces as a reminder of better days :splitspin or send them to the Smithsonian and describe it as plumbing from the early days :tub:

- Get yourself a new female threaded x barbed fitting and a new slip x male threaded bushing.

- Wrap the male threaded end of the bushing with nine complete revolutions of teflon tape as follows. While looking at the open end of the male threaded bushing, take the teflon tape and wrap it tightly around the threads in a clockwise rotation. This is the same direction you'll be screwing the barbed fitting onto the bushing. Doing it this way will prevent the teflon tape from bunching up or leaving gaps. Nine full revolutions of tape, remember.

- You can now screw the barbed fitting onto the taped bushing. Screw it as far as you can by hand. Then you can tighten it with Channel Locks. Tighten it until it has seated itself nicely, but DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN. These fittings are very easy to crack if you overtighten them. If you find a tiny drip from this union later on, you can still use Channel Locks to give it another 1/16th or 1/8th turn to tighten it a bit more.

- After you've joined the barbed fitting and bushing, you can prime inside the slip end of the bushing and the outside of the piece of pvc still attached to the return bulkhead.

- While waiting for the primer to dry, you can now use my trick of the trade to completely seat the vinyl tubing on the barbed fitting (hot water). Try to get the vinyl tubing ALL THE WAY to the end of the barbed fitting for a proper seal. Then you can use one cable tie to secure it.

- Now you're ready to cement the bushing to the piece of pvc you primed.

- The only part that gets cemented is the pvc pipe, NOT the bushing. Completely cement approximately 1.75"-2" from the end of the pvc pipe that you primed. Be sure to glob the cement completely around the circumference of the pipe.

- Now you can insert the bushing onto the cemented pipe and give it a 1/4 rotation turn. Hold it together for 30-40 seconds or until secure.

- When the bushing is secure to the pvc pipe, take the cement applicator and run another bead of cement along the outside of the junction of the pipe and bushing. This is just a prophylactic precautionary measure (not necessary if everything else was done properly).

- Retighten your return bulkhead without overtightening this as well.

- Reattach your return plumbing inside your overflow box to the return bulkhead.

- Obviously make sure your pump is attached to the vinyl tubing.

- Turn it on and test it.

- Take two asprins and call me in the morning.

Russ

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Unfortunately it's busy time at work. So it is still the way it is. Won't be able to go to Home Depot till tonight to pick up a cutter and the parts needed. I will try to do it tomorrow or late night tonight as I am picking up some livestock in the evening and might not have enough time.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: