richardhmc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I just recieved my order of salt and I realized that I ordered Instant Ocean instead of Reef Crystals. Is there much of a difference? My tank is a reef tank but can I still use the Instant Ocean? My tank will still be fine right?

richardhmc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Cool thank you. I didn't want to go through the trouble of trying to ship it back to the company. If it doesn't make a difference, why can't I just keep using regular saltwater than using the reef?

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
Which salt mix to use is one of the most hotly contested and eternally unresolved issues in the hobby. None of the mixes are all that close to natural sea water and none of the tests performed on a wide range of them prove anything as EVERY single salt assay has come up with different "winners". You will also find people having both success and issues with EVERY brand out there. They are all a little different, all can support aquarium life, you just need to figure out which one works for you and compensate for their deficiencies. In you case Reef Crystals might have a touch more Ca. in it than Instant Ocean, so after using IO check your Ca and Alk levels and if they are off adjust accordingly. FWIW, I have used IO for the past 15 yrs. without problem ( and probably more hobbyists by a long shot have too), yet others think it is the worst salt out there. Certainly, it won't harm your tank.

I will say that I have been testing a new salt that is about to hit the market that I really, really like......but more about that when it is released.

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
I think I've tried almost every salt and tested them over the years. I/O is not only one of the cheapest, but more importantly one of the most consistant from bucket to bucket. For FO tanks it's just fine, but for us reefers the cal and mag have to be bumped up to acceptable levels of 400-450 and 1350-1450....the alk has always read 9.6 for me....

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: