Lushpan

Very Senior Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hi! I've just tested my water for Nitrates and got 150ppm! I was posting a thread about my SPS loosing tissue, couldn't find the problem until now.
I have 72G with 24G sump, 2x150W/20K MH lights, skimmer, 2 Koralia pumps, canister filter for phosphate removing media (clean every week)
What do I do now to lower the Nitrates? I did 20% water change yesterday (every 2 weeks) using RO/DI water and Instant Ocean salt mix.

Alk 1.7
PH 8.2
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 150ppm
Ammonia 0.25 ppm
Salinity 1.025
Marine Lab test kit

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 262
  • skimmer.jpg
    skimmer.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 259
  • Acro3.jpg
    Acro3.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 262

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
I would do a 5-10 gl water change every day for 2 weeks, or unitl your nitrates/nitrites are at low levels.

You could do bigger changes, but I believe that might shock the livestock in your tank. I believe you are better off with many small water changes everyday for many many days.
Good Luck

Lushpan

Very Senior Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I would do a 5-10 gl water change every day for 2 weeks, or unitl your nitrates/nitrites are at low levels.

You could do bigger changes, but I believe that might shock the livestock in your tank. I believe you are better off with many small water changes everyday for many many days.
Good Luck

Yes, I will do small water changes. Thank you. But, still, what could be the reason for so high Nitrate level? I do regular water changes, I don't feed fish too much. Recently I added a canister filter with phosphate/nitrate removing media. By the way, usually people use live sand, I have crushed corals instead.

Master Shake

captain of tying knots
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Did you test because i asked what your nitrates were? what test kit is it, drops or strips. if strips they are higly inacurate. Vacuum your sand lightly with a python or something like that. Do it light enough that the sand is tumbling in the tube but not enough that it is being sucked out(kink the hose). You will notice sedamint coming out in the head of the python. I vodka dose to make sure my nitrates stay low. you can do it to help it get down. and like i said on your other post move that acro up as high as possible with as much flow as possible. any more specific questions just pm me.

Lushpan

Very Senior Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
How old is that test kit??? You shouldnt have any ammonia as well...

Good question. Exp. date is 04/10/09.
I went to a LFS a week ago to test my water, the test was good. I've been having a problem with my SPS loosing tissue and dying for like two years, never could keep SPS for long time. So I've posted a thread and was advised to test water today.

Lushpan

Very Senior Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Crushed coral = big no no if you dont regularly THOROUGHLY clean it....traps lots of crap

Is it too late or too big of a job to replace crushed corals with live sand?
How harmful would it be for the whole system? I've just put so much time and money in this tank, I want everything to be the best.

Last edited:

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
You need to find out why your nitrate got that high in the first place before you change your substrate.If you have live sand or no substrate at all you can still have high nitrate. Find out the source or sources first.

Lushpan

Very Senior Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Nice tank by the way.What kind of coral is that at the lower left corner in the first pic?

Thanks. I think you are talking about leather coral with big long branches. Actually it's got so big and split in two parts, I could trade one for something you don't need. Also I could trade some pulsing xenia, they taking over my tank. If nobody needs it, I'll have to probably get rid of it somehow.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Lushpan, those are very high nitrate numbers. Now you see why I was nagging you to test the water.;-) By your results it seems your tank is cyclin.:(
Have you added any new live rock? Or have you had a massive fish loss? Any little kids running around your place that may have dumped a bunch of fish food in your tank with out you noticing?
You really should get together with Bob 1000, and have him run those test again. By all means please get some salifert test kits.

To get those trates down you can try 10% water change every other day while testing just before the test to check on your progress.
But most importantly we know have to figure out why your tank is doing this.

Lushpan

Very Senior Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I've met Bob 1000 today, he checked the water for Nitrates again and it's really high. He's going to email me other tests too. Thank you Bob, lots of useful information about reefing. I hope everything is going to be fine with my tank, Bob knows this stuff. Will do more water changes, also need to keep alk and cal stable.

peteyp923

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can it be your sand bed that is building up nirates to that level? I dont think u can take out all ur sand at once cause this will totally mess up ur system. maybe try siphoning out a little section at a time when u do your water changes..

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Lushpan, if I were in your shoes I would remove a cup or so of that crush coral with every water change. Go slow my friend, nothing good happens fast in this hobby.;) Glad to know you met up with Tobin....

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: