alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Anyone seen these new Deltec skimmer yet?

The TC 2560 caught my eye

TC2560%20web%202.jpg

http://theaquariumsolution.com/products-type/protein-skimmers-2009-models

Last edited:

juiceguy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
they sure do look nice and i am sure they are good skimmers but i think Deltec is still over priced these days given the competition from BK and ATB

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Another skimmer for you??

ha ha, yeah. looking to replace my Deltec Turbo 1060S.

I plumbed down to a basement fishroom (from my living room display) and now have a slightly different setup as far as my sump goes. I love the Turbo, the only downside is the maintenance. While it is only a few times a year, the way i have it, it really is difficult to get to it in my sump now. Also the turnover of my sump and the flow are really not letting this skimmer operate efficiently - it is pretty much squashed between the outer wall and a baffle which is limiting the water flow around it.

Last edited:

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
I looked at them in MACNA, they had one running and I was not impressed. IMO there a bunch other needle/pin wheel skimmers out there with bubble plate and\or inner chambers to be had for cheaper, Deltec don't have any innovation or "cool factor" in these new skimmers.

I am not s big fan of the new color either, another gimmick to mimic BK. They should have left it black ABS.

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
I looked at them in MACNA, they had one running and I was not impressed. IMO there a bunch other needle/pin wheel skimmers out there with bubble plate and\or inner chambers to be had for cheaper, Deltec don't have any innovation or "cool factor" in these new skimmers.

I am not s big fan of the new color either, another gimmick to mimic BK. They should have left it black ABS.

would you at least agree that they are better than the current models?

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
few of the biggest difference in skimmers is being able to correctly match air and water ratio and doing it in a manner that is most effective for that body style, use this as an example with one brand, euroreef use's the same pump and design on a few of their skimmers, now a sedra 3500 does x amount, but putting that pump on a body of x size and dimensions compared to their next model up, so is that pump really efficient on this or that one ?, most of the uppr line and even so now with the lower costing skimmers match a pump correctly to the body, a skimmer will only handle x amount of air to be at it's maximum effectiveness, some pumps pull a much better air to water ratio making them a more efficient pump to use, mojo on RC really gets into a more technical explanation

sharkbait69

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
few of the biggest difference in skimmers is being able to correctly match air and water ratio and doing it in a manner that is most effective for that body style, use this as an example with one brand, euroreef use's the same pump and design on a few of their skimmers, now a sedra 3500 does x amount, but putting that pump on a body of x size and dimensions compared to their next model up, so is that pump really efficient on this or that one ?, most of the uppr line and even so now with the lower costing skimmers match a pump correctly to the body, a skimmer will only handle x amount of air to be at it's maximum effectiveness, some pumps pull a much better air to water ratio making them a more efficient pump to use, mojo on RC really gets into a more technical explanation

Thanks. I knew about the matching of air to water and pumps, but I still can not justify the cost of some of these skimmers. Granted my MRC 2r with the 6' riser was a couple of bucks along with the pumps but still close to two grand is unjustifiable in my eyes. I talk to mojo a lot, even more when I was looking to get a quality skimmer for the new 40 breeder I was building. I have always use beckett skimmers on my set ups. For the price I wanted to pay and get the best action and air to water ratio I was looking at the atb cone and mojo put me in line with the knock off version, the octo extreme 160. So far I have not regretted the skimmer just the service of the seller.
I was thinking more in line of different acrylic or build style maybe gold inlay leafing on the side. Something.
Don?t get me wrong, to each is own, I spend more money on scuba gear each season then I care to tell my wife.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
me personally i can't justify that kinda money, but never owned a tank big enough to need it, mojo put me to the vertex and i am not regretting it, best skimmer in that price range and a few above the 500 range. not to go off subject but i talked to a guy at macna at the deltec booth , and wasn't impressed with his own knowledge, guy at house of fins was a rep and could explain it all, very knowledgable, they just fine tune a skimmer

fernandokng

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Anyone know what pump these deltecs uses?

On another note, the issue with deltecs and bubble kings are the support. You pay premium prices for these items, and you expect premium service. Even though I've never owned a Deltec or a BK, but if you do a search, you can get tons of feedback on their support. Some positive. At the same time, many of them are surpringly negative.

In addition, the issue with buying deltecs and Bk is that they come with expensive pumps. Thus, just like everything, these pumps will eventually fail, and they are expensive to replace as well.

For example, the BK pumps are 400+ to replace as well, hence why I decided against the Vertex's Cone. I love the Sicce's based skimmers because the pump is great, great air to water pull, and they are readily available and cheaper. $130 new. Hence, I went with the ATB 840 (thanks Leo from Solace!)

Good luck with your purchase, and hope everything turns out excellent.

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Well as mentioned above, i am a fan of 'premium' brands for the higher quality and superior service. i never had an issue with a Deltec product they did not resolve for me.

I needed to swap out my skimmer and was originally considering the AP702. Once I saw that they were coming out with a 'new and improved' line, i decided to hold off and wait for the new ones. Looks to me that they incorporated some Bubble King into this series and my thinking is that if these were not better than their current skimmers they would not have created them. So I do believe I will be getting something better/more efficient than an AP702 at a comparable price.

When it comes to the value, well Deltec is clearly not the bargain brand. There are always going to be cheaper skimmers out there, but with Deltec you are paying up for the name/reputation, the quality, and the service. There i believe it comes down to personal prefs where some would be willing to drop the extra cash on that while others may opt for the more economical choice. Toyota and Lexus both may have similar models, but some people will pay more for the added quality in the lexus and others may rather save their cash and go with the toyota - at the end of the day they will both get you to your destination

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: